Snow Leopard & Multitouch not working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peejack, Aug 30, 2009.

1. peejack macrumors 6502a

Aug 7, 2007
    Hi I recently upgraded to SL on my new unibody MBP and now 3 and 4 finger touch gestures won't work at all. Is anyone else having this problem??]

2. beamish Guest

My MBP also experienced this. Two-finger scrolling has not been affected, but pinch/rotate/zoom functions are no longer working. One other thing I noticed is that the screen saver is prompting for a password...but the screen saver is not enabled. I'm wondering if there is something either in my user profile that is not working correctly, or the System Preferences got wonked up a bit.
  3. p3ncil macrumors regular

Jul 6, 2009
    are you sure it's enabled in the trackpad pane under system preference?

try creating a new user and enable the options under trackpad in system preference and see if they work.
  4. Cicero76 macrumors newbie

Apr 23, 2008
    It just all of a sudden started happening to me. What is frack is going on!?
  5. jamoin macrumors newbie

Mar 17, 2009
    The exact same thing has happened to me not but 5 minutes ago. Multitouch has been working fine in SL for a week or so, until today...

Also, whether this is related or not...the whole system has suddenly become very slow and unresponsive. I'm running a repair permissions now, but I'm doubting that it'll make a difference..

Any ideas on this?
  6. dohmer macrumors newbie

Jul 30, 2009
    Not that it matters, but i'm also experiencing the same problem. Checked the trackpad settings and everything seems fine.
  7. cjacks68 macrumors regular

May 27, 2009
    This happened on my early 08 mbp. I went to the preferences and everything was checked still. So I unchecked and re-checked all the options and now it seems to work fine. Give that a try.
  8. dohmer macrumors newbie

Jul 30, 2009
    Read somewhere that you need to shut down the laptop and take out the battery. It was pretty hard to do with a unibody. But I did try just shutting down and when I restarted, multitouch was fully functional again. Thought I'd share what I found.
  9. ///M5 macrumors 6502

May 14, 2009
    The very same thing happened with me last week. A restart solved it.
  10. maximilianblue macrumors newbie

Nov 21, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Same thing here. However I was using a knockoff power adapter. Swapping the adapter solved the problem for me. So possible faulty power for the rest of you?
  11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

Sep 17, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    SL might have done something to the system preferences. Go into them and see if the touch gestures are turned on.
  12. trentfoley macrumors newbie

Nov 29, 2009
    Interesting problem

I recently discovered that multitouch wasn't functioning on my '08 mbp w/ sl. The 2 finger scroll worked, but not zooming or rotating.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I tried the fsck to no avail.

Also, I created a new user, logged in as that user, and found that all of my multitouch functionality was restored. I logged out and then logged in as my normal user account, and again, functionality was restored.

Following a reboot, multitouch was gone. As an experiment I deleted the new user account. I found that after a fresh boot, multitouch would not work. However, after logging out, and then logging back in, multitouch is restored.

I have not tried turning off automatic logon to see if that is the issue, but I will try it next.

Update: Automatic login does not appear to affect the results.
  13. shambo macrumors 6502a

Apr 4, 2009
    SL is 64bit and Multicluth doesn't support it. To resolve this I had to change my Safari back to 32bit.
  14. ricof macrumors member

Nov 29, 2009
    The Garden of England
    As mentioned above, check and uncheck.

The same thing happens with the tap to click settings and uncheck and re-check always works.