Snow Leopard: Nice Printer/Scanner Improvements

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by silver25u, Aug 28, 2009.

1. silver25u macrumors member

So I already knew Snow Leopard had "small" printer and driversimprovements, but I've already found these "small" improvements to be worth the upgrade. I didn't know that the drivers also included the scanner driver for some/most (?) AIO's. I have an HP AIO (Officejet 7590) and hate the HP scan software and drivers (when scanning it puts up an annoying progress dialog that interferes with doing other stuff while you scan).

I do a lot of scanning to PDF so Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro had been my main scanning program ("Create from Scanner"), but now in Snow Leopard you can scan from right in the printer within System Preferences.

I fired up Adobe Acrobat sort of expecting the scanner to show up since I'd already added the printer driver, but no luck. So after a few minutes I found my way to the KB doc (thanks to the article on MR's front page) and after actually reading it I realized that the build in scanner driver is "within" the printer in system preference. And best of all... its not some watered down option. Its full of options such as source (flatbed/document feeder), output format and settings, single doc or multi-page, and where to save.

See: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669#HP

Attached Files:

2. ncc1701d macrumors 6502

I did eventually find exactly what you've described here and will have to have a closer look. I have kept trying to access the HP scanner software, but maybe there isn't a need for it any more... Thanks for the post! :)

3. Michael73 macrumors 65816

This could be great.

I got my SL copy on Friday but had been holding out in part because I have a Canon CanoScan 5600F flatbed scanner. Like you, I do a lot of scan to PDF but equally use it to scan lots of old photos. On Friday, I sent an email to Canon asking about driver support and got the following response:

I had looked at the list you referenced for my HP printer but didn't pay attention to the fact that it also listed scanners. Lo and behold, SL contains drivers for the CanoScan 5600F...WOOHOO!

4. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I must say: I have always found printers (especially in a shared/workgroup environment) to be a lot more trouble than they should be, and 's been making them much easier to deal with over time. Good news here, as well. Maybe someday soon we won't have to struggle with printers at all.

5. ncc1701d macrumors 6502

Does this mean I can completely delete the HP folder in Applications?

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Looks like it. As per HP's site:

7. ncc1701d macrumors 6502

I deleted the HP folder and everything connected to it and when I went to print again the drivers were gone. A software update confirmed that the drivers were needed to be installed again. Don't know if deleting the folder deleted the driver as well, but just thought I'd share. Cheers.

8. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I really like that they put printer drivers into the software update framework. A much better place to keep them, in my opinion.

9. rtrueman macrumors member

rtrueman

silver25u,

Thanks for the information. I had the same pre-Snow Leopard scanning work flow. Now, I'm now seeing the HP printer under Acrobat. It scans fine as you've described, but Acrobat provided some nice features like OCR and scanning the back of the pages (never could get working). Is this a matter of Adobe updating Acrobat to see the printer/scanner or will we always ahve to scan with something else (Preview, Image Capture and some others also work, but none have the features I'm used to under Acrobat).

I've been able to (under the recommendation of Apple) to remove all the pre-Snow Leopard HP software. I needed to reinstall, but it's working fine now (expect for the Acrobat piece).

All the best,

Rob

10. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I noticed the same things as the OP mentioned. It's nice and I will find them useful. The only thing I've found that bothers me is the Ink Widget no longer works and I actually used that. I'm bummed over such a small thing. I hope HP issues an update to fix the problem.

11. Tafkas macrumors regular

I have the HP Laserjet 3055. It is a scanner, printer, fax combo.

Using 10.5 I was able to scan via WLAN and the HP Scan software. Now where I upgraded to SL the printer works fine but I does not get recognized as a scanner. Is there anyway to fix that?

12. zbrown00 macrumors newbie

So are you able to use it another way? I'm s.o.l. right now with my HP 6310. Can't scan at all with any program.

13. MarcheurDeCiel macrumors newbie

I've got a rather long-in-the-tooth HP PSC 1610 AiO, and I absolutely HATED the HP software. After I installed SL I could still print no problems, but I couldn't scan.
    I uninstalled all the HP software, disconnected the printer and then did a software update - as recommended on :apple: support site. Reconnected the printer, selected it from the system prefs pane and low and behold: everything works - scan and printer!
    I don't miss the crappy HP software at all, but it's a shame you can't do multiple page scans from SL - at least I haven't been able to figure it out. Any suggestions?

14. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I wonder if apple could incorporate this scanning feature into bonjour for their routers.

15. chum macrumors newbie

I'm having this exact same problem (no scanning on my 1610-AiO after Snow Leopard.) Do you have a link to the step-by-step for how to get up & scanning again?

Thanks!

16. borgy macrumors newbie

Scanner indifference puzzles me

All those PC years I heard about Apple being the choice for graphics users. When I switched (no regrets) I was puzzled at the very rudimentary accommodation of scanners. My scanner had become my second or third most used peripheral but my Canoscan 5000f required its own software download and driver from Cannon and it is never recognized as present by the image capture program. I had hopes for Snow Leopard but not for this scanner. So I still use the kludgy Cannon software and am limited in it's use. I would have thought that there would be something wazoo that integrates easily with iPhoto, and other graphic tools for scanners. I am also surprised that if so much of the Apple community are graphically occupied that there is not more insistence on better scanner tools. I'm not kvetching, bigtime here, just puzzled. Man I do miss Paperport.

17. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but as it's right on the topic - any way to save the settings on the scanner page? I always got to manually set the target folder and picture resolution... :mad: