Snow Leopard not detecting new hardware

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Baron Aloha, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Baron Aloha macrumors newbie

Long story short, I got a new 2010 Mac Mini recently. I initially connected it to my HDTV via HDMI and OSX detected that it was a Samsung television. Now, whenever I go into System Preferences > Sound > Output, Samsung shows up when I selected HDMI.

I've since connected the Mini via HDMI to my audio receiver...but it is still coming up as Samsung. I've been having problems getting 5.1 surround sound working (only the front speakers work) and I wondering if this is because it still thinks it is hooked up to a tv and the tv cannot output in 5.1... just in stereo.

I've tried rebooting multiple times and I even called Apple but the guy I spoke with was of no help whatsoever. He had me hold the power button in and everything...nothing he suggested worked.

Basically what I'd like to do is remove Samsung from the list and force it to see my receiver just like when I first turned on the system. Anyone know the correct way on how to do this?

2. iVoid macrumors 65816

It could be that your receiver (I assume it switches HDMI?) is passing the TV's configuration back to the mac.

You might have to go optical out to the receiver to get 5.1 sound.

3. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

HDMI on the mac min only currently outputs in stereo. u need to use optical to get 5.1 out.

4. tom.bcn macrumors newbie

tom.bcn

That's not right. It does output 5.1 over HDMI. It's working on my setup and is confirmed by Apple:

(http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4214)

5. Baron Aloha thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE: I was able to fix the problem.

SOLUTION: I hooked the Mini up to the receiver via HDMI, booted from the OS X disc and did a complete reformat of the HDD and reinstall of the OS. After the OS was reinstalled I went to System Preferences > Sound > Output and my receiver was listed. I selected it and rebooted. Upon reboot the lights for the front speakers, sub woofer, and l/r rear speakers lit up on my receiver (previously the sub woofer and l/r rear speakers didn't light up).

So my advice to anyone out there planning to connect the Mini via HDMI directly to a receiver is to do so from the get go the first time you turn it on because apparently if you switch to a receiver afterwards OS X might have a hard time detecting the receiver...even if you delete all of your preferences and whatnot beforehand.