Snow Leopard not so good for everyone

Discussion in 'macOS' started by leekohler, Oct 7, 2009.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Guys- a friend of mine is continuing to have a lot of problems with Snow Leopard. His battery isn't charging again on his MBP even after resetting the SMC, along with other glitches. Is it just a reinstall issue? If we can't figure it out, he wants to go back to Leopard. He's very frustrated.

And if he does want to go back to Leopard, is there a simple way to do that without a clean install?

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I couldn't tell you if it's an reinstall issue or not, it wouldn't hurt to try.

And there is no way to install an older OS over a new one without erasing everything on the harddrive.

3. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Are you sure this is a software problem? Sounds to me more like the hardware is not working. Faulty battery???

4. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Agree, his computer likely has additional issues. Try it again AFTER
    repairing all permissions and a pram reset.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Have they got a back-up from before they installed Snow Leopard, preferably a clone from SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner? If they have then boot off the clone and clone the back-up to the internal drive.

If not they will have to do a fresh install of Leopard and pull their settings and data from Time Machine.

6. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

yeah ive been noticing this too on a late 08 2.4ghz 15" MBP
    its kind of disappointing actually.
    the battery life tends to not even fluctuate properly under SL.
    it routinely got 4.5 ~ 5.5 hours under Leopard using wifi, half brightness, running pages, firefox and itunes and then misc combinations of apps; now its averaging a shorter lifespan, decreased performance and other performance issues...both after a clean install and migration install.

id make a clone if he hasnt already and just migrate the data back over...but ive also heard of complications of downgrading from 10.6 to 10.5

im not too pleased with the SL OS myself, its unfortunate, was looking forward to it.

archive & install, restore from back up, time machine back up etc

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Done all that. An additional issue is disks freezing his screen when trying to eject.

And none of this happened before the install. It all started happening right after.

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Sounds like all he did was went the "upgrade" route with Snow Leopard instead of a clean install which involves a full erase and install which is honestly what should be done with a major system upgrade. Haven't you read any of the other threads about people having SL issues, most due to them choosing the upgrade route?
    Now, if he did in fact do a clean install and manually installed all of his apps back and is not using any funny little haxies to change the dock and such then he's having hardware issues, not related to SL.

9. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

A. You cannot archive and install from a downgrade in OS
    B. No matter what, you will have to erase your harddrive in a downgrade
    C. I never said you would not be able to keep your data, of course you can back it up, EITHER way, your harddrive will not contain the data once the OS is installed. That's what the OP was asking - there was never a question in if if he will lose his data forever.

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I did ask about the "upgrade route" before, and everyone said it should be fine. That indeed is what he did. I was under the impression that SL just "cleaned up" Leopard and it was necessary to have Leopard installed before installing SL. Is that not the case?

11. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Completely off topic but:

1) How does one become a demi-God? and
    2) Shouldn't demi-Gods be answering these type of questions rather than asking them? <No personal insult intended.>

12. pdjudd macrumors 601

As indicated, it has no bearing on their level of technical knowledge, just that they donated to the website.

13. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

All "demi-god" means is that I contribute money to MacRumors. It doesn't mean I know everything. ;)

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Contribute $25, details here

Being a demi-god means you have contributed to the running of MacRumors and just like the rest of the members on here we sometimes need a bit of help with our Macs. :D

15. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Some people have reported problems with an upgrade install that were fixed after a subsequent erase and install... I would try that before going back to Leopard. But if he doesn't have the patience to try that, just go straight back to Leopard for now.

I did an upgrade install and didn't have any issues except for the duplicate font thing - which was pretty easy to fix.

16. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Ohhhh.

A purchased title. Kind of like English Royalty.

Well, that's a nice thing that you donated money. I should do the same. I read the site every day.

I certainly don't know everything. I will be a very confused demi-God.

17. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

You'll be in good company. ;)

18. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Ok then. So can we just use the SL disc to do this? Or do we have to install Leopard first?

19. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Ok, I'm $25 poorer but infinitely happier. It automatically demi-God-ed me. I wasn't sure I was going to use the title but it doesn't seem to have given me a choice.

Now that I'm a deity I have been hit with an epiphany and the answer to your question is:

If you are going to go to the trouble to do a clean install, go back to Leopard. He just wants a usable Mac. Let SL settle down a bit before he upgrades. I'm personally waiting at least until 10.6.2. Now I don't feel so bad about hijacking the thread.​