Snow leopard on 2011 MBA 13

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Nychot, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Nychot macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking of picking one up. Can i put snow leopard on it? I know many say no but why should it not be possible. I'd have one of the geniuses do it. They put it on my lion installed mba.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Geniuses wouldn't do it, they'd tell you it isn't possible. And they are 95% correct. While you can get it on there, it has many problems and isn't usable.

3. Nychot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Specifically what kind of problems? On What are you basing your response. Supposition or fact. I was told it coukdnt be done to my mba and the genius did it no problem, no questions asked.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Which MBA was this that the genius put Snow Leopard on? If it was from 2010 or earlier, of course it can be done. 2011 MBAs come with Lion pre-installed, though, and even if you could get Snow Leopard on it, I'd think it'd be missing some drivers, for instance for Thunderbolt, for which no Snow Leopard version exist.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There are Thunderbolt drivers in 10.6.8 and some builds of 10.6.7.

The problems include lots and lots of beachballing, slow response time, kernel panics every hour or so.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Really? I thought Thunderbolt only came on computers released with Lion, but I admit I could be mistaken about that. But even so, would those drivers work with 2011 MBA?

In any case, the point is, as you say, the whole system would likely be unstable.

7. simsaladimbamba

Lion was released in July, Thunderbolt was released in February with the MacBook Pros.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Thunderbolt first came to the Mac line with the early 2011 Macbook Pros in February. Lion came out in July. The Thunderbolt chip in the Airs is currently unique to the Airs. The Snow Leopard drivers may work on it, but I don't think anyone has tested it.

9. Nychot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its the early 2011 5s and runs perfectly INCLUDING thunderbolt. Lion was preinstalled. He took it in back and 15 minutes later itwas running SL and can be upgraded to lion again.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Ah. I stand corrected, thanks!

11. Nychot thread starter macrumors 6502a

I dont care about thunderbolt prob will never us it.

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The reason why the Genius did that was was because the Early 2011 MPB's came with Snow Leopard and where supported. The Genuis would not be able to put Snow Leopard on a 2011 Air.

13. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

Well its not really associated with thunderbolt per se, but its fact and standard procedure that apple products do not support versions of an OS earlier than the one the machine initially shipped with.
    which in turn has specific kernels and kexts files for hardware, software and other possible configurations specific to that Mac.

its not wise in any circumstance to back-track. regardless.
    When doing so it really creates an unstable environment software & hardware wise for the machine, nor will potential updates for software, firmware or the like come down the pipe for that make or model due to compatibility.

14. Mikey-Mike, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011

Mikey-Mike macrumors member

Mikey-Mike

Well this is a big deal because I didn't think this was possible and I was going to buy an older model Air just to run Snow Leopard on so:

What you are saying is it was a MacBook Air Intel Core i5 and you are running Snow Leopard on it?

Edit: Oh wait, I understand, you did that to a MBP. Sorry.