Snow Leopard on 2012 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by idunn, Feb 1, 2013.

1. idunn macrumors 6502

Apple says not to use an earlier OSX version than originally came with the computer. But exactly what I have in mind. Has anyone done this successfully?

Presumably a 2012 cMBP comes with Mountain Lion. I wish to use Snow Leopard, as a perfectly fine OS, and primarily so as to avoid the pain of the many steps involved in reverting (the regrettable insult of) iTunes 11 back to version 10.

At the same time, to do this in conjunction with the installation of a new SSD. So the idea to

• load the SL install CD (which I have) in the optical drive
    • power down and install SSD
    • power up holding Option key to access installation disk
    • presumably then format SSD in Disk Utility
    • continue and finish SL installation
    • then from this clean install, transfer that data desired from Time Machine backup

Apple speaks of possible kernel panics and other terrible things if using an earlier OS version. If with a retina model something unfortunate seems likely, due the different screen if nothing else—with the classic model, maybe not? Ideally I'd use the latest OS and keep it simple, only as said in its entirety not all that swell (in at least my opinion).

So, is anyone using Snow Leopard on a 2012 cMBP and perfectly happy with the arrangement?

2. simsaladimbamba

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard lacks the drivers for 2012 hardware and will not work.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search or MRoogle to find many threads asking the same about running Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on 2012 Macs while you wait for more answers:
    [​IMG]

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Because SL lacks the drivers, i.e., kexts to support the newer chipsets and hardware its impossible to run SL on a new laptop.

There's been a number of threads on this and people trying all sorts of ways to get it to work, but nothing has. For all intents and purposes SL is not a viable alternative

4. idunn thread starter macrumors 6502

Which drivers?

Please, what exact aspects of the hardware? Maybe the Intel HD 4000?

edit:

Thanks for the replies. Will be satisfied at least to the extent of knowing if this truly impossible.

5. simsaladimbamba

Ivy Bridge CPU and chipset (2012 releases) and the GPU, and probably other stuff as well.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Same applies to the new iMacs...SL won't run on them. There are ways of fiddling around, bu the bottom line is it's a no go .

7. chrfr macrumors 603

All of them. It's not possible. Just don't install iTunes 11; backdating isn't complicated, especially not in comparison to trying to get SL to run on an incompatible computer.

8. idunn thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, well

Yes, just not install iTunes 11. Save in the instance of purchasing a new 2012 (I suppose now, technically, 2013) cMBP. In which case presumably iTunes 11 is part of the package, like it or not.

And reverting back to iTunes 10 a pain.