Snow Leopard on a Mac Pro...PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ahaley1986, Sep 29, 2009.

1. ahaley1986 macrumors member

Ok, so my uncle upgraded to snow leopard on his mac pro (not sure which version he has, but it's a little more than a year old). Snow leopard didn't run great on his computer from the beginning, with the major issue not being able to print to a HP printer that was supported by SL. As time has progressed, several programs have been very buggy and now it often freezes on him, causing the need for a hard restart. Sometimes, it won't even boot into SL, with a cross coming up instead of the apple and the wheel constantly spinning. I've had him start into safe mode, reset pram, verify disk, and repair permissions. It works briefly, but reverts back to being troublesome. I need some suggestions on what to do!!! It would be greatly appreciated.

Keep in consideration that the computer worked flawlessly with leopard, which probably eliminates the possibility of a hardware issue

Attached Files:

2. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Sounds like the upgrade did not install correctly from the start. I would try a clean install from the SL disk. Should work fine then...

3. MrkJensen macrumors newbie

Need an advice

Hi,

Having similar problem MacBook Pro.(Intel from early 2007) Leopard worked perfect, then I made the mistake of installing Snow Leopard.

Things went wrong from first installation, it took forever but in the end it worked. But only for crashing, and a re-installation was the result. That worked for a few days, and then it crashed. (Monitor got Grey stripes) I rebooted and now the stripes was red. "Somehow" I managed to reinstall SL and all fine for a few days. (I did install 6.1 every time)

Then 15min before I had to submit a monster quarterly financial report in excel, the grey stripes came back. Now it is dead for good:(

Not possible to boot from disk "C" just the "red lines" and it ends in Grey or blue monitor. -The disk is spinning for awhile but nothing is happening.

Start up is safe mode "Shift" not working, lots of stripes and monitor freeze up.

Start up with "Option" does not make a difference whether I use the DVD or disk it ends in grey or blue.

I have been resetting memory and power -every thing there could come to my mind, but nothings helps

I also tried to install Leopard with trying to booth from DVD, but not working.

Could it be a hardware problem (Dead HD) as I have checked the DVD on my MacBook (running Leopard) and that is fine

I am out of ideas:confused:

I am okay with basically cleaning the HD, if possible, as I have full backup on my time machine so I can recover.

If anybody have any ideas I am all ears.

4. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

In your case, as you have a 2007 MBP (NVidia card IIRC) I suspect it's time to book a genius bar appointment. I suspect you need a new logic board. Luckily this should be covered under an extended warranty that Apple set up on all MBPs of this vintage.

5. ahaley1986 thread starter macrumors member

If by chance snow leopard does not workout for him, will a snow leopard time machine backup work in leopard???