snow leopard on a rmbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by revilate, Sep 7, 2012.

1. revilate macrumors member

any one tried snow leopard on a rmbp or know if it might work?

my rmbp is on its way now, so just wondering about this if i'll have to deal with mountain lion or not...

biggest thing that concerns me is the if the display scaling and other corresponding drivers might work or not... :confused:

2. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

3. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

These almost certainly will have some issues.

ML works fine for most people and i'm sure it will for you too.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. mattonthemoon macrumors regular

mattonthemoon

The rMBP won't even boot to older versions (10.7.3 or older) of OS X, trust me, i did it, it wasn't pretty.

My only method was to boot off the internet recovery option, and os x had to download before installing.

7. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I know it`s off topic and all that; i have been through many iterations of OS X, truth be told all. Mountain Lion is really not a bad OS by any means Apple just needs to do a little more work on multiple monitors. Lion yep not so good and Snow Leopard i do like and still run on older systems rock steady stable, equally ML offers the same on my systems.

I believe it`s a matter of adaption, once i adapted to the way the newer variants of OS X work i found that i could get through things a lot faster; typically six desktops and several spaces on my primary Late 2011 15" 2.4 i7 MBP, Retina more so. everyone`s workflow is different and some may not want to adapt. For me what i am losing with Snow Leopard, i feel am gaining far more with Mountain Lion and when i swap back to an older Mac the feeling is very apparent.

Apples not perfect and they do screw things up from time to time, however so far i am happy with ML`s progression, some things i don't care for like the social networks integration then again if you don't use them it`s not intrusive like many of the other additions.

I don't know why, just putting it out there :p

8. simsaladimbamba

Can you share how you adapted with Mission Control? I tried twice, once with Lion (for a week or two) and once with Mountain Lion (for a month), but I always reverted back, as Mission Control is just not for me and I haven't found a way to adapt to it. Even TotalSpaces can't help yet.

Imagine going from Spaces in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, looking like this
    [​IMG]
    to Mission Control in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, looking like this
    [​IMG]
    Of course, not everyone uses that many Spaces, but Mission Control seriously hampers the usefulness of more than four virtual desktops.

I have limited myself to nine desktops on both my Macs, and will try to narrow it down more, but the combination of showing all windows in all Spaces via two mouse button presses is just something I still cannot live without.

9. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Nice. :) I won't be in need of a new computer for a long time (hopefully) and I am anticipating on upgrading my 2010 MBP later on and using it for as long as I can. I'm running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard.

Lion and ML look great and all but something about SL makes it so different. I dislike all of the Facebook/Twitter integration type stuff on the new OS models, plus for the fact that I'm still making use of USB 2.0 and an optical drive. Hell, I still use Ethernet. Not that those things have to do with the OS, but the models are so different too.

Apple is leaving me behind, but they have to do what is most profitable of course.

10. latestmonkey macrumors 6502

I'm a firm SL user. Love it.

But in the back of my mind I keep thinking "Lion and ML can't be nearly as bad as everyone says. I should probably upgrade. using SL is like sticking to Windows XP."

But I'm not so sure sometimes. All the new features in lion and ML seem to be for social media users and not for actual productivity. (As least according to the complainers.)

Basically, I can get a regular MBP 2012 and install SL from scratch, yes?

11. simsaladimbamba

Sadly no, as Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard has no drivers for 2012 hardware.
    You can only get Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard onto late 2011 MBPs.

[SUCCESS!]Late 2011 Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard

12. latestmonkey, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012

latestmonkey macrumors 6502

:( Wonder if it's too late to go to microcenter and get one of those sale 2011 MBPs. I'll miss USB 3.0 but thunderbolt devices will get cheaper.

I am running 10.6.8 on an SSD drive. Could I just plop it into a late 2011 MBP?

13. Queen6, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Same as your good self i run a lot of desktops/spaces, i tend to leave many apps windows open so i can return to them to work or research. I don't allow ML to automatically arrange spaces on last use, so i know exactly what space runs which app and like SL i predetermine which space an app will run in. Anything windowed runs in a predetermined desktop anything fullscreen runs in a space.

At first with Lion in the early days i too was frustrated by Mission Control`s shall we say lack of visual cue`s as opposed to SL, all the same i stuck with it and as hard as it was to break away from what i was comfortable with in SL i stared to realise that i was moving faster with Lion; launching apps, switching between apps and or spaces, using more gestures. Only multiple displays being a significant issue, a complete pig in Lion and a "halfway house" in ML, i hope for more...

Right now i am running seven desktops and four spaces, all of which is navigable at high speed with ease. My set up is also likely to influence as i run two 15" MBP, Late 2011 with external monitor and Retina standalone. This setup allows me to run a tremendous number of spaces (easily 20+) and i am able to deal with them with ease thanks to ML, and Magic Trackpad`s as both notebooks are on Rain Designs Mstands.

14. Liquinn Suspended

Yeah I know the feeling. That's like with Leopard on my G5. Compared to me using Lion/Mountain Lion on my Intel Macs. :(

15. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

For sure, that has to be more of a "complete" feeling as well - non-Intel Macs have been gone for a while now, I've only begun the feeling. It's a shame but it has to happen unfortunately.

I don't know what I will do in the future, I don't think I'll have a place with Apple laptops with all of the modernizing and such. I love my 2010 MBP though and will continue to use it for as long as I can. I'm just not the kind of person that has a need for anything that the new operating systems and models emphasize - things like the need for WiFi, social networking, syncing of devices, etc. I just have one Mac laptop - not a ton of devices like most - that I hook up to Ethernet, connect my USB 2.0 devices to, I am always using the optical drive, etc. I love it, and I want it to last as long as possible before I am completely dropped off.

16. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

No the hardware is significantly different between the 2011 and 2012 machines, as for the social media if you don't use it, then you will never see it and there is a lot more to ML than this. Personally i have no time to play about with the likes of Facebook and i am only interested in what the OS can delver for me i the way of productivity. i still have a Early 2008 15" MBP on Snow Leopard and it is now worlds away from Mountain Lion the newer OS is the better for those that can or are willing to adapt, not perfect mind.

For some Lion & Mountain Lion without a doubt will break their workflow, at first you feel that you have to make compromises, later you realise that the loss is far less than the gains. It`s all very much subjective and personal, what works for me may not work for you etc..