Snow Leopard on iMac 2011 slow

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Fozziebear40, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Fozziebear40 macrumors regular

Fozziebear40

I have just got a 27" iMac mid 2011. When they first came out they must have had Snow Leopard on them unlike the new Mac Mini's. Lion is fine but I wanted to put Snow Leopard on a partition.

Copied my Snow Leopard install from a 2006 MacBook Pro and it works but Geekbench reports it running slow. (just like the people trying to get Snow Leopard running on the new Mini's)

I know it doesn't install from the DVD but I thought a transfer from 10.6.8 would have worked? I presume the factory installed Snow Leopard at the launch of these iMac's must have run fast?

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

This machine originally shipped with a modified version of 10.6.6. Therefore, it is properly supported by 10.6.8. I've heard rumors in the past that running software update may not necessarily install all of the available drivers on a machine, though I've seen no evidence to support this strange claim. You can try rerunning the 10.6.8 v1.1 combo update.

There's also the possibility that your hard drive may be bad or that some other processes are running in the background chewing up CPU time.

3. Fozziebear40 thread starter macrumors regular

Fozziebear40

Thanks Detrius, ahh yes I suppose I can download the combo update again see if it installs new drivers. It was last updated on a MacBook Pro so may work.