Snow Leopard on Ivy Bridge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pared3s, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Pared3s macrumors regular

Can anyone make a guess as to whether the upcoming Ivy Bridge MacBook Pros will be able to run Snow Leopard?

2. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

3. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

in theory... yes.
    in practice... no.

Apple will definitely not support it out of the box, they are never backwards compatible when it comes to older OSs on newer hardware. Similar to getting SL onto a 2011 Air or 2011 Mini, it will require some jerry-rigging and fooling around with kexts.

4. Pared3s thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply.

Can Snow Leopard be installed on the current models?
    An Apple Genius once told me that I could install it using Boot Camp on the current Sandy Bridge models. Is that true?

5. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

The original iteration of the Sandy Bridge models came with Snow Leopard so I would think that it would work fine.

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

The CPU is not really the problem but they just don't supply the necessary drivers with snow leopard. Especially if it is a bigger redesign it will be very unlikely to run SL.
    It is something Apple does on purpose. It wouldn't really be difficult to supply add all the drivers. There is no low level difference between the OS like it was between Vista & XP.

7. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

If a particular model had at any time in the past shipped with SL on it, then yes. Today, it can be downgraded to SL easily. This applies to all the Macbook Pros, iMacs, and Mac Pros.

Since the newest models of the Mac Minis and Macbook Airs never shipped with SL, only Lion, they cannot be downgraded easily. People have figured out ways to get SL to run on them, there are instructions if you search. Basically, it involves messing with the kexts and thunderbolt might not work properly... It's a YMMV type of situation.

Yes and no. Boot camp is meant for dual booting windows. It can also be used for dual booting linux. I have never tried, but I assume it can also be used to dual boot into different versions of OSX. However, as I someone explained above, the issue will be related to native driver support.

8. Pared3s thread starter macrumors regular

I thought the latest MacBook pros shipped with Lion? Or are they close enough in spec to the early 2011 models that SL can be installed?

9. simsaladimbamba

[SUCCESS!]Late 2011 Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard
    I did it myself recently by using my 2009 MBP and the late 2011 MBP in Target Disk Mode and installing Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard onto it and updating it to the latest version and then finally booting it.