Snow Leopard on Mavericks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fedtegreven, May 3, 2014.

1. Fedtegreven macrumors newbie

May 3, 2014
    Hi guys,

I haven't been able to find this anywhere on the forum so here goes:

My Macbook Pro (mid 2009) won't boot. I get the prohibitory sign/question mark on grey screen, and nothing happens. I've tried resetting SMC, NVRAM/PRAM, booting in safe mode and recovery mode, and just letting the damned thing have a good nights sleep. Nothing seems to be working though.

So I've come to the conclusion, that I need to reinstall my OSX, but here's the problem: I just updated to Mavericks and I only have Snow Leopard on disc. Can I boot and install snow leopard anyway? And what about my data will it all go?

I've tried to insert the Snow Leopard disc and pressing "C" during start-up, and it seems to be working. The question is whether or not to go on with the installation. I wouldn't want to lose my data.

Any professors online?!
  2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Apr 23, 2011
    GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
    Yes, you can install SL, but at the expense of losing all your data.

To salvage your data, I suggest you borrow another working Mac and connect your mid-09 MBP to it in Target Disk Mode, and then salvaging your data from it. Another alternative is to install OS X into an external drive and make it fully bootable as a full-fledged OS. Boot from there and then you can salvage your internal drive's contents.
  3. Fedtegreven thread starter macrumors newbie

May 3, 2014
    Thank you for a quick response :) I will give it a go, and let you know if it worked.