Snow Leopard on Mavericks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fedtegreven, May 3, 2014.

1. Fedtegreven macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I haven't been able to find this anywhere on the forum so here goes:

My Macbook Pro (mid 2009) won't boot. I get the prohibitory sign/question mark on grey screen, and nothing happens. I've tried resetting SMC, NVRAM/PRAM, booting in safe mode and recovery mode, and just letting the damned thing have a good nights sleep. Nothing seems to be working though.

So I've come to the conclusion, that I need to reinstall my OSX, but here's the problem: I just updated to Mavericks and I only have Snow Leopard on disc. Can I boot and install snow leopard anyway? And what about my data will it all go?

I've tried to insert the Snow Leopard disc and pressing "C" during start-up, and it seems to be working. The question is whether or not to go on with the installation. I wouldn't want to lose my data.

Any professors online?!

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Yes, you can install SL, but at the expense of losing all your data.

To salvage your data, I suggest you borrow another working Mac and connect your mid-09 MBP to it in Target Disk Mode, and then salvaging your data from it. Another alternative is to install OS X into an external drive and make it fully bootable as a full-fledged OS. Boot from there and then you can salvage your internal drive's contents.

3. Fedtegreven thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for a quick response :) I will give it a go, and let you know if it worked.