Snow Leopard on Mid-2005 iBook 14 Inch?

redheeler

macrumors 604
Oct 17, 2014
Snow Leopard will not run on any PowerPC Mac. The highest you can go is Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 68040
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
MorphOS is extremely fast but you will hit a wall with available software and the whole feel is very retro (plus you have to buy a licence which problably exceeds the cost of you iBook). Linux flavours are an uphill struggle to configure correctly and once you get there, you're still no faster than OSX (and slower for a lot of things).
Your best option is to consider your requirements and stick with OSX - Tiger if you can live with it or Leopard if you require extra compatibility. Either way, you will be able to optimize the OS to get the best from your iBook. I take it yours is the 1.42Ghz machine? With plenty of RAM it's a very capable PowerPC machine - just comb through this forum and/or ask for help for setting up specifics.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Yes, I have the 1.42ghz. So far I have Leopard on there. I just got it so I really haven’t played with it yet. I was just thinking that none of the new software supports it anymore so maybe I would put Linux on it... thanks for the reply.

YaBe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2017
Yes, I have the 1.42ghz. So far I have Leopard on there. I just got it so I really haven’t played with it yet. I was just thinking that none of the new software supports it anymore so maybe I would put Linux on it... thanks for the reply.
Apart from web browsing... wich ...well is kinda meh.. I installed all the old apps (Adobe mainly..CS4 and Office) and it is still a capable machine, I have a Dual 867 MDD (PowerMac G4) and as long as I can export in PDF so that newer user can still use my vector images (or documents in word) and my PSD files, I am set.

Sure I cannot upgrade to newer app, but in reality do I really need to? Yes i might have to do a step or 2 more than in the newer version, but I can pretty much still do everything I would do with a more modern HW.

Reactions: AphoticD

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
If you're needing the compatibility of Snow Leopard or higher I would suggest finding an older MacBook and using that instead of your iBook.

As @Dronecatcher has pointed out you are likely to be no better than where you are now once completing a Linux install. The iBook will still be limited by the capability of the processor and not all developers make Linux software.

Reactions: AphoticD