Snow Leopard on new Macs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by glip, Aug 10, 2011.

1. glip macrumors newbie

I am thinking of purchasing a new Mac Mini or imac but I have some programs that will not work with Lion so I would rather use SL. The Mac salesperson told me that I could not (or it would be very hard to) load SL on these new machines that are configured for Lion. Anyone know if or how it can be done?
    thanks,

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The 2011 Mini cannot run Snow Leopard. The 2011 iMac can, you just need to Snow Leopard restore discs for that model. The retail installation disc will not work.

3. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Several forum members have gotten Snow Leopard to run fine on 2011 Mac Minis. If you go to the Mac Mini forum, you should be able to find that Thread.

Apparently, since the Mini shares the components of the 2011 MacBook Pros, 10.6.8 will have the right drivers for Minis.

4. glip thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input. I found the answer on another forum which I quoted below.

"Spent a while on the phone with Apple support today. They tell me that it should be impossible to downgrade a machine that shipped with Lion. However, if it WERE possible, it would require a reinstall disc with the latest version of Snow Leopard. Which they happily sold me for $16."

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

As you've already discovered, providing you have the correct Leopard instal disc, you'll have no problems in running it on a 2011 Mac Mini.