Snow Leopard On Retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by moderngamenewb, Dec 21, 2012.

1. moderngamenewb macrumors 6502

I'm getting the new Retina MacBook pro soon. I know I can't install Snow Leopard on the new Retina due to the hardware. My question is, if I have Snow Leopard set up on an external hard drive, will I be able to boot it that way, or will it just simply not work? I like to use Snow Leopard time to time just to compare differences between Mountain Lion and Snow Leopard, and I like to play a couple of old PowerPC games, so it's not a big loss if I can't run it on the new Retina through an external firewire (I know I would need the thunderboldt to firewire cable).

2. efirmage macrumors member

A VM or running bootcamp would be your best option. Snow Leopard won't have the drivers to support the hardware.

3. moderngamenewb thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Bootcamp isn't going to do anything for running SL. As far as running it in a VM, VMWare Fusion won't do it, as while Lion makes special provisions for VM licensing SL is at best ambiguous. VMWare released a version that supported SL VM's and pulled it 2 days later at Apple's request. That's the version that Stetrain linked

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The version of Fusion in question was accidentally included native Snow Leopard client support. It was not pulled at the request of Apple, but was removed by VMWare. Snow Leopard Server can be installed without a problem in Fusion because the EULA allows it. As can Leopard Server.

6. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Correct in server only, but client support pulled indeed was at the request of Apple. VMWare had it on their blog at the time. References to it at Macworld too.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1163795/vmware_backtracks_on_os_x_client_virtualization.html

We have a high level Enterprise support agreement with VMWare and Apple both, we were all over putting SL clients on newer machines due to the fact we needed Rosetta support for legacy apps. In checking with both at the time it was clearly explained to us that it was a fail that VMWare released it, both they and Apple said don't expect it in the future either.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Neither VMware or Apple have officially stated the request. Apple may have told VMware in a closed memo or maybe VMware caught its mistake to prevent a large fine or other things. All that the public know is that is was in there for one version, that is wasn't allowed by Apple's EULA, and that it was removed in the next version. The public does not know why it was included or why it was removed. They can speculate, but nothing more.

8. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Or you can work for a company that has the official reason but agreed not to publish it :D Apple tends to withhold future information from outlets that they feel paint them or their products and tactics in a bad light.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If one works for VMware or Apple, they wouldn't fall into the "public" category.

10. MichaelLAX, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

It is a common Urban Myth that the Snow Leopard EULA prohibits its use in virtualization in Lion or Mt. Lion on a Mac.

Apple sat back quietly while its shills continued to propagate that myth, since it resulted in larger sales of Snow Leopard Server for $499+.

That myth has been largely debunked over the last 18 months; especially by those who have documented workarounds that allowed Parallels and VMWare Fusion to install Snow Leopard client; which Apple was powerless to stop.

Apple finally threw in the towel recently and now offers Snow Leopard Server for $19.99 + sales tax & shipping (call 1.800.MYAPPLE (1.800.692.7753)).

[click on image to enlarge]

Attached Files: