Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bumzo1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Dallas, TX
I have an older White iMac with a 1.83ghz CD that is just sitting there not being used and it makes me kinda sad but it is running tiger and I can't use it for much. Do you think I will be able to run Snow Leopard on it speed wise? (I have a Family pack upgrade disk) I would probably use it for things like iChat, Safari and iTunes.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I have an older White iMac with a 1.83ghz CD that is just sitting there not being used and it makes me kinda sad but it is running tiger and I can't use it for much. Do you think I will be able to run Snow Leopard on it speed wise? (I have a Family pack upgrade disk) I would probably use it for things like iChat, Safari and iTunes.

I have an original white macbook that sounds equivalent. Runs Snow Leopard fine. In fact, its not much slower than my brand new macbook pro. Why would you leave it around unused? If nothing else, sell it. Its still a very powerful very useful machine.

bumzo1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Dallas, TX
Your 2gb of ram make it a great candidate for either Leopard or SL. Why didn't you upgrade to Leopard previously?

Because I received it as a hand me down and only used it for about 4-5 months before I got my new iMac and during that time I was saving my pennies to pay for the new one.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Because I received it as a hand me down and only used it for about 4-5 months before I got my new iMac and during that time I was saving my pennies to pay for the new one.

Know anyone that needs it? It's a pain having more than one computer to use. Your white one is a very nice computer though - most people could easily use it as their main computer.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
I have a similar white iMac (though mine is 2.0 C2D) and it runs SL great. Big improvement over Leopard on it. :)

czachorski

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007

I just bought a 20" CD intel iMac from Craigslist for $600 and thought it was a steal. If you're not using it, sell it, and buy yourself other toys. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.