Snow Leopard - Open CL won't work on ATI 2600

Discussion in 'iMac' started by supernet33, Jun 9, 2009.

1. supernet33 macrumors regular

http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html

OpenCL

* NVIDIA Geforce 8600M GT, GeForce 8800 GT, GeForce 8800 GTS, Geforce 9400M, GeForce 9600M GT, GeForce GT 120, GeForce GT 130.
    * ATI Radeon 4850, Radeon 4870

Ok this sucks I have last year model iMac and it won't support OpenCL because I have ATI Radeon HD 2600 .. WTF

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I am hoping that its a matter of supporting current hardware first and that they will get to the HD2XXX series soon. Nothing in the hardware thats stopping them AFAIK.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Yeah I'm slightly bummed at this news too cause I have the same computer. Oh well, at least Grand Central will be compatible

4. Blue Fox macrumors 6502a

Blue Fox

I'm not sure if I'm mistaken, but I didn't see the ATi logo during the keynote presentation of all the companies working with OpenCL. Hopefully they'll add support before release (or soon after).

I'm wondering since it's a seperate GPU (unlike the NVIDIA chips), that we could swap out our GPU's with the 4850. We would have to order it online (and it's a little pricey at around $400 bucks though). But I'm wondering if that is possible.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

http://ati.amd.com/technology/streamcomputing/opencl.html

Not possible.

6. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

The AMD logo was present on that slide and that is the company that owns ATI Technologies.

7. adammelancon macrumors member

Just this past April I purchased a refurb 24" 2.8Ghz iMac. I REALLY hope that the ATI Radeon HD 2600 is supported.
    Like I said in a previous thread, I'm just envisioning Apple taking advantage of OpenCL in places like iMovie and Final Cut Pro for things like rendering or real time rendering of effects.
    I can also see them applying this to other aspects of the iLife package.

It would really suck to have a computer model that is only 1 year old not be supported.

8. trose macrumors regular

That'd be really sad if a 9400M could do it and my 2600 won't...

I *really* hope that it's just a case of "Support will come later". This computer is not that old, I shouldn't already be cut out from current OS features.

9. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

10. ra004e macrumors regular

11. trose macrumors regular

Ahh, but I just noticed something in that list-

Look at the Mobility Radeon section, as that's what our iMacs are using-

No 2600 Support :\

Oh well, this isn't a huge bummer, but I still feel a little upset. I guess we'll have to see how much OpenCL actually helps before I get all pissy ;)

12. ?uestion macrumors newbie

My 2007 20" iMac has an HD 2600 pro

What iMac has a mobility chip?

13. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

All of them.

14. Feng Shui macrumors regular

I am flipping pissed. I hope they made a mistake by not including 2600 PRO on the list.

15. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Strange but the 3870 is on the list but not supported by Apple.

16. ?uestion macrumors newbie

I see they use an underclocked mobility 2600 xt

17. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

18. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

The iMac has a Mobility Radeon 2600XT which has been slightly underclocked.

For legal reasons they can't claim it has a 2600XT because it's not running at full speed. So to play safe they call it the Pro.

19. RichardI macrumors 6502a

RichardI

Hmmm. I'm trying to figure out if I should get SL when it comes out and I too have the ATI 2600 Pro card. I won't get h264 and I won't get OpenCL. Why would I "upgrade" to SL? :confused:

Rich :cool:

20. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

OpenCL isn't going to do **** for you. What demo have you seen where OpenCL is kicking ass and taking names? It's a paper tiger right now. They had to fast track it into Snow Leopard.

If you have a freakin 2.8Ghz Intel Mac and you don't get Snow Leopard you need to be lobotomized.

21. Feng Shui macrumors regular

If OpenCL is not supported, am I still able to install Snow Leopard? That's all that matters, I want to have my Mac's OS up to date. I'm sure I won't benefit from OpenCL anyway, as I am not a Protools user.

22. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Absolutely.

23. macaliseme macrumors newbie

You can still get snow leopard. For all its worth, there are still massive speed improvements even without OpenCL. I don't know what Apple have done with their CODECS, for example, but I found that the compression under QuickTime X is faster.

24. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

He's just venting.

He's got a 2.8Ghz Core2 Duo computer what will "fly" on Snow Leopard. I've got a simple 2Ghz C2D and I'm certainly upgrading.

I think that Apple has set expectations "too" high regarding OpenCL. No one here has seen any proof that a fairly basic GPU like the 2600 will automagically unlock all this hidden power.

Apple does not lack flair for the dramatic and they've kind of written a check their behinds can't cash here. Once the benchmarks come in ..reality will set in and every Intel owner with a brain will grap the $29 upgrade. They know that Snow Leopard is a good step forward they just want to object on principal.

25. ryan.stewie macrumors regular

ryan.stewie

Well, the performance of my 2600 in bootcamp was greatly improved by installing desktop drivers. I actually think the card is an underclocked desktop card.