Snow Leopard - Option to change Modifier Keys is broken

Discussion in 'macOS' started by klaxamazoo, Aug 30, 2009.

1. klaxamazoo macrumors 6502

I just installed Snow Leopard and the Modifier Key option no longer works. i.e. I can't switch the CTRL and COMMAND keys. The option dialog still pops up, but the keys don't actually switch.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a work around or a preference file I can change manually?

Thanks

2. klaxamazoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Never-mind. There is a new (maybe?) feature that lets you select different keyboards to have different modifier key settings.

Attached Files:

3. colinsky macrumors member

colinsky

I had the same problem on my quad Nehalem. I tried installing on an erased disk, and then I could change the Modifier keys (I like to make the Caps Lock key a Control key). However, after I imported a Time Machine backup, the modifier change no longer was in effect.

I erased and installed again, and this time I'm re-installing all my apps and utilities. So far the Modifier change is still okay.

4. agnor macrumors newbie

I'm not sure why this worked, but: try a different mouse. I had a Microsoft 5-button mouse plugged in and experienced the same problem. Even removing the mouse from the system and trying to make changes solely ont he keyboard didn't solve anything. However, I plugged in a 3-button mouse, and I was able to change the modifier keys, have the changes stick, and have the changes actually work.

I was then able to plug the 5-button mouse back in and it works fine still.

5. Greg K macrumors newbie

This works in 10.6.2 on my MBP until I reset, and then my modifier key settings are lost again.

Anyone else experience this? and found a workaround?

So far snow leopard is a step back as far as keyboard support goes. I've not found a way to install a proper UK keyboard layout either. Alt + 3 for # gets tiresome quickly as a developer!

6. cullepm3 macrumors newbie

Changing the modifier keys doesn't work on a Mac Mini without attached keyboard (I connect using VNC). The Keyboard Preference dialog lets me switch keys (Command and Control) but after I close the window it reverts to the defaults. Any ideas?