Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wayne s

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
UK
Went to the apple Store today and purchased a Magic Mouse (love it) and a copy of SL, can not decide wether or not to install it now or wait until the bugs are fixed, any problems with time machine backups not being recognized?

Thinking about a clean install and dragging the stuff I want back right over from TM. Good or bad idea?

So close to popping that little disk in right now.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
I say do it! There are some freak bugs but not that many imho. If you want to be on the safe side wait for 10.6.2.

I did a clean install to get rid of everything you forgot you had, also it seems people doing clean installs have less problems, so I would have to recommend that.

UngratefulNinja

macrumors 68000
May 9, 2009
Pennsylvania
I just upgraded on Friday and I honestly haven't noticed one difference. Actually I did- I can sync notes ota with mobileme now :p Otherwise, no noticeable difference.

Wayne s

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
UK
The install disk is inching closer and closer. Don't know why I am dithering really, I had Leopard installed the week it was released and never had a problem. Must be my age, turned 40 last week.

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
I'm waiting until at least 10.6.2. Leopard is stable and does everything I need. There are too many posts with common themes, like "SL says my battery needs replacing when it was just fine under Leopard." (I know, I know: forums can exaggerate problems because more people post about problems than not.) I don't want to spend several hours solving problems. I'll let Apple take a first crack at it.

HD303

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2006
Observatory Park
I installed SL when it was released, and I have to say, I see that damn beach ball more than I did when I had Leopard installed.

Wayne s

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
UK
Think I will take the plunge, will post back soon hopefully unless my iMac becomes a pile of molten metal. :eek::eek::eek:

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Think I will take the plunge, will post back soon hopefully unless my iMac becomes a pile of molten metal. :eek::eek::eek:

It's not a big deal. I'm running SL in full 64-bit mode and don't really have any issues.

Just back up your stuff and enjoy.

Wayne s

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
UK
All done, but, not a clean install...I purchased the upgraded disk and could find no option to erase and install.

The film clips in iphoto no longer play when double clicking on them like they used to, but will play if i drop them into quicktime.

I do get momentum scrolling, but is that worth £25?

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
All done, but, not a clean install...I purchased the upgraded disk and could find no option to erase and install.

The film clips in iphoto no longer play when double clicking on them like they used to, but will play if i drop them into quicktime.

Try the usual repair of permissions and click your heels three times.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
To do a clean install you need to boot from the DVD enter disk utillity and format your system disk and your off.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007

You didn't purchase an upgrade disk, you purchased the full install. From the install screen you go to the Menu Bar and choose Disk Utility and then you can do a full erase and install from there. Still recommended rather than the upgrade path you chose, you shouldn't even be having those issues mentioned.

Also in regards to your first OP, a "Clean Install" is not considered that if you restore from a Time Machine backup, you're just dumping everything back on. If you want a "Clean Install" you need to erase, reformat, install SL and then manually install each app.

IntelliUser

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2009
Why does it matter?
Well there are some bugs (aka disable guest accounts), but I rather think it's worth it. The important thing is to use and reboot. I guess it needs some time to rebuild the cache or something, fact is that after " use and reboot "s Photoshop has passed from a ####load of bounces to 3-4 the first time and just 1 subsequently, with similar results with the Final Cut Studio apps, in my case. Everything else, from Safari to the other Apple apps is faster.

Snow Leopard has still got its small bugs, but I think it's stable enough to use, though we'll probably need to wait till 10.6.3 at least in order for it to be as solid as Leopard.

Note: I upgraded directly from Leopard, having quite a lot of apps, including Little Snitch and an anti-virus software installed. Your mileage may vary.

Wayne s

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
UK
To do a clean install you need to boot from the DVD enter disk utillity and format your system disk and your off.

Thank you both for that, will do it later today, is it ok to manually drag files from my time machine drive rather than let TM do its thing.

Wayne s

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
UK
Clean install all done, getting some odd airport behaviour. Signal keeps going up and down and safari is very slow. Booted into XP and all pages loaded fast so no isp problem. Also I had the software download for the Magic Mouse installed and after a restart it vanished and I had to re download and install it again.

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
Clean install all done, getting some odd airport behaviour. Signal keeps going up and down and safari is very slow. Booted into XP and all pages loaded fast so no isp problem. Also I had the software download for the Magic Mouse installed and after a restart it vanished and I had to re download and install it again.

The MM software came out after SL, so it wouldn't surprise me that it would see it as "normal" Apple mouse software and replace it during install. I don't think native MM support comes until 10.6.2.

I did a proper clean install, redownloading and reinstalling all my apps (of course when they became SL compatible) after transferring my personal data like docs, music, and movies, and haven't had a single problem related to SL. There are too many factors involved and so many different apps out there that can cause problems with SL that no one can just say "Everything will be fine".

Wayne s

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
UK
May have not been very clear, but, I downloaded the MM software after the clean install and after getting 10.6. All was well until a restart and the the MM software was gone, so I downloaded again.

Wayne s

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
UK
Glad to say Snow Leopard seems to be working fine now after a few initial hiccups. Apps seem to load quicker now but apart from that not much difference noticed.

Thanks to those that helped out.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Went to the apple Store today and purchased a Magic Mouse (love it) and a copy of SL, can not decide wether or not to install it now or wait until the bugs are fixed, any problems with time machine backups not being recognized?

Thinking about a clean install and dragging the stuff I want back right over from TM. Good or bad idea?

So close to popping that little disk in right now.

The only proper way to install Snow Leopard is a clean install: Wipe out your hard disk AND all your old time machine backups, then install Snow Leopard, install the available Snow Leopard updates and install your application software.

You will not have much fun with Snow Leopard if you make an update installation. An update might work for a "surf board" Mac, meaning one that only runs a web browser and iTunes. But this is not what you want to do on a real work horse.

Also, Snow Leopard does not really bring anything new, and it also does not bring the promised magical performance improvements -- at least I can't see any on my Mac Pro. There are also no apps out there yet that take advantage of OpenCL or Grand Central. But there are tons of apps that have compatibility problems with Snow Leopard.

So, at the moment, Leopard is the safe thing to use.

But it's your call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.