Snow Leopard Performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benrockwood, Aug 27, 2009.

1. benrockwood macrumors member

benrockwood

Hi All,

I getting my copy of SL next from Macmall next week. I am reading some reviews that thou SL is snappier than Leopard, but it seems the application performance is slow compared to Leopard :mad:. I am using applications like MS office 2007, firefox 3.x and parallels with linux & windows. Anybody there who has already installed SL can tell us what do they think about application performance in SL.

Ben

2. bugout macrumors 6502a

As far as application performance goes, I'm not noticing any difference. I use MS office/CS4 and VMware most of the day. I'm a big Firefox user, but I must say, safari just blows it out of the water in terms of speed. It's like night and day. Firefox still slows to a crawl after a few hours needing a restart. I still can't believe that Mozilla hasn't fixed that yet.

Quicktime X is a total nightmare for me. There's no preferences for it. You can't set it up to auto-play files on open, and there's no option to move the floating control box off the window. It's a nightmare if you need to scrub a lot looking for something. Back to VLC :-(

Had a bit of a headache this morning trying to scan something, but HP already had help up on their site for it.

3. benrockwood thread starter macrumors member

benrockwood

4. blurfonz macrumors regular

Example Time Machine will work 50% faster. Thats performance to me. :) Anyway I'll be receiving my SL copy today! (family pack)

5. weckart macrumors 68040

Up to 50% faster. That's because it is not copying all those printer drivers and PPC code to your TM volume. They didn't reinvent the wheel with SL and transferring data across USB, FW, eSATA or even wirelessly did not automagically speed up.

6. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I used to love FireFox but since Safari 4 was released I have noticed it's not wort the slowness of FireFox to use it. Even on Leopard, Safari 4 is 3x faster than FireFox. I don't appreciate some of the differences in Safari 4's interface, but since it's 3x faster it's a no brainer. I am growing to respect Safari more than any other Web browser.

I am really looking forward to Snow Leopard. Noticed a few of the journalist reviews state it's slower, but I have to assume user error as I trust the developers and Apple more who all state SL screams and is much faster and better than Leopard. I guess we will all be experiencing it for ourselves tomorrow!

7. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

:eek: Sounds like it's still a beta version.

Tell me, when you "double-click" QT's movie window... does it go to full screen (like VLC ) or does that still need to be invoked from the menu? (or Cmd+F).

Perhaps a silly annoyance, but I like to shrink my movies occasionally to see other windows without going to the menu or keyboard. (Or god forbid, resize it by grabbing a corner)

8. bugout macrumors 6502a

Double clicking doesn't do anything, but there's a button on the controller to invoke full screen and go back again.

9. lars666 macrumors 6502a

I also hate it that QT hasn't the same behaviour as VLC in this case - double click for full screen and back. Sad to hear that this didn't change with QT X ...

10. srexy macrumors 6502a

I saw in one journo blog that they'd had glitchy CS3 behaviour. Anyone care to comment?

Do you think Adobe will release an update or are they of the "update to CS4" mindset? I don't feel inclined to upgrade just now!

11. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I ran an xBench test and I eeked a few more points from my system, nothing I'm going to notice.

12. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Same. Just installed Snow Leopard and there really isn't any performance gains that I can notice, overall it's the same but everything seems to open, move much smoother but not faster (so can't really call that an increase in performance). I guess I will wait until school starts where I'll be pushing the computer more but right now, nothing amazing or mind blowing.

13. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    could it be SL gives better battery performance?
    (I can almost feel it ...)