Snow Leopard - PERFROM A CLEAN INSTALL

Discussion in 'macOS' started by eezing, Sep 1, 2009.

1. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

I'm seeing a lot of posts with people complaining about 10.6. I'm sorry but a lot of the bugs and problems people are mentioning just don't add up. That being said...

If your having issues, perform a clean install.

If you are planning on upgrading to Snow Leopard, perform a clean install.

Basically...

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND PERFORM A CLEAN INSTALL OF SNOW LEOPARD.

DO NOT INSTALL OVER YOUR CURRENT OS INSTALLATION.

Anyone computer guru will tell you a clean install is the only way to go. The only reason Apple probably includes the easy upgrade on top of current install feature is for marketing purposes.

2. glavoie84 macrumors regular

Performed an upgrade on my 13" MBP and on my girlfriend's early 2008 MacBook. No problem other than non-supported applications (plugin for Mail that hasn't been ported to Snow Leopard yet). Everything else is working flawlesly!

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Why, try the simple upgrade instead.

Likely, it'll go well.

If you upgraded from Tiger, and had some issues with fonts, drivers, etc., and those things are still there you lazy bastard.

You likely have some issues with Snow Leopard.

I had font problems upgrading to Leopard, disabled them, and went on my merry way.

Not surprising that Snow Leopard choked on all the bad fonts that I procrastinated over removing so long ago.

---

Disable the login items, repair the drive and install the OS -- likely it'll go well.

4. cmaier macrumors G3

Upgraded a late 2007 17" MBP and a mid-2009 15" MBP using the upgrade method, and both worked perfectly fine. No point doing a clean install unless something goes wrong using the upgrade method. You can always do a clean install afterwards.

5. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

Upgrade worked fine for me. A bit slow and unsteady until I tidied up a few apps (including a few with kernel extensions) that I didn't use any more and now all seems well. I agree with a clean install as a troubleshooting step, but not sure everyone needs to do it from the get go.

6. Marcus263 macrumors regular

7. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I just did the upgrade and everything went fine. Here are the steps I would take.

Upgrade. If you're having issues after install, THEN do an erase and install. You don't need to do it first.

8. DUSTmurph macrumors regular

I couldn't figure out how to do a clean install.

9. sputacus macrumors regular

The only thing I've heard from Apple gurus is that clean installs are rarely needed or indicated. It is only REQUIRED as a last resort at repairing some issues. Of course, one is free to do clean installs as much as he likes if it makes him happy. My time is much to valuable to me to do one unless I had to - and I never had to!!! My upgrade to SL is working great!!!

10. gathart macrumors regular

Please do explain. I am not sure what a clean install is. My macbook pro is completely ****ed up after installing snowleopard. It stalls, is slow, I want my old OSX10.5 back.....

11. LastZion macrumors 6502a

if I do a complete install, can I get my applications back from Time Machine? Man I am in over my head lol