Snow Leopard permissions on Apple apps

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Machinegun, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Machinegun macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm currently having problems with the way SL does permissions. I was trying to change the icons of Apple specific applications (Mail, Dashboard, Safari, etc.) through CandyBar 3.2, and it wouldn't change. The usual copy and paste method didn't work either. Therefore, I looked through my Sharing & Permissions to find that there isn't admin or my username there. There was only system (Read & Write), wheel (Read only), and everyone (Read only). So, I had to change all three to Read & Write to change the icons via copy and paste. I found this strange so I ran Disk Utility to fix those permissions, and it reverted everything back to what it was in the beginning. I'm not a Mac genius like most of you guys here are :) so is it supposed to be like this? If not, then what could I do to fix it?

And as for non Apple apps, there are Username (Read & Write), admin (Read only), and everyone (Read only).

I'm currently running SL 10a432 on an iMac 2.4 Core 2 Duo if this info helps anyone solve my problem.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. devburke Guest

You can add yourself to the permissions list by clicking the + button at the bottom :D

Picture 1.png

FYI, I'm still on Leopard, but I'm assuming this hasn't changed in SL.

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It is supposed to be like that, yes. It's best to avoid messing with permissions unless you know what you're doing. Sounds like CandyBar's Snow Leopard support is still a bit flaky.

4. devburke Guest

Yeah it's best not to mess with them. Can't you change icons just by dragging a new one to the icon at the top of the Get Info window? I've never actually done it, so I'm not sure.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Not if you don't have write permissions.

6. devburke Guest

Ah. Well just giving yourself write permissions temporarily to change an icon shouldn't hurt anything, should it?

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It won't if you change permissions back afterwards. Repairing permissions will fix (some?) system apps, but you're on your own with third-party apps. That's why I suggest leaving well enough alone.

8. Machinegun thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah okay. Thanks for the quick reply guys :) I shall leave it as is if that is the default system setting.

As for CandyBar, they claim that it's Snow Leopard compatible now, but now I realize not so much. I guess I'll be sending an email their way sooner or later.

9. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

not sure you should be talking about running that since it's not released publicly yet...and as you stated to us all, you're not a genius...so I doubt you're a developer who has permission to be running it.

It cracks me up when people want support on unreleased, pirated software.

10. Machinegun thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a rather rude response. My college has a program that let's students sign up so please stop jumping to your ridiculous conclusions. I was almost surprised when I didn't get a rude response, but here you come embarassing the rest of your peers. Sigh.

11. JustGretchen macrumors 6502