Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
For the skeptical or the curious;
installtime.jpg

Any distortion or weirdness is a result of the little point and shoot used.

A) What monitor is that?

B) What are the new APIs like? How easy is Grand Central to use when developing multithreaded applications?

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
10.6 really isn't that much faster than 10.5, at least on my MBP. Also, a cean install is always going to be quicker.

idyll

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Stable enough to use as the main OS? I know everyone says no way wait until it's released blah blah.. But any crashes?

I wonder how things like the Adobe CS 3 run.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Apple will keep all the builds as stable as possible I think, they are building on the foundation they have laid with previous releases.

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
This should be awesome. Its exciting to know that the next OS is going to streamline everything to make it as fast as possible. Almost like a system upgrade more so than software. i like it.

BryanLyle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Too bad it only works in Exchange 2007. My company is still running Exchange 2003, so I guess I'll be able to use this feature in about 2012 (assuming they updated Exchange by then)

:)

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Too bad it only works in Exchange 2007. My company is still running Exchange 2003, so I guess I'll be able to use this feature in about 2012 (assuming they updated Exchange by then)

:)

The options for a Mail account include Exchange 2003 and 2007.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Apple will keep all the builds as stable as possible I think, they are building on the foundation they have laid with previous releases.

Eh, there's definitely a lot being torn up under the hood. Half the (announced) purpose of Snow Leopard is to build a foundation for future releases.

BlackMax

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2007
North Carolina
even though i dont even have access to an Exchange server this is a pretty sweet feature.

the combination of iPhone 2.0 and Snow Leopard will appeal enormously to businesses who use Exchange servers to push to PCs and Blackberrys.

The icing on the cake would be if iChat in OS X 10.6 supported connections to MS Office Communicator as many companies (mine included) have deployed MS Office Communicator Server as their chat, presence and collaboration server.

With MS OCS support in iChat I would have a strong argument to push for purchasing Mac hardware in the corporate environment. ;)

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
The icing on the cake would be if iChat in OS X 10.6 supported connections to MS Office Communicator as many companies (mine included) have deployed MS Office Communicator Server as their chat, presence and collaboration server.

With MS OCS support in iChat I would have a strong argument to push for purchasing Mac hardware in the corporate environment. ;)

they could always use bonjour messaging in iChat which comes with every Mac. not sure how good it is though as ive never used it.

ivnds

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2006
Firefox 3, to be precise. I hate that theme. I installed the GrDelicious Apple theme and it looks like Safari now :)

Thanks for the tip Taylor! That huge button is just ridiculous, that theme makes firefox usable again.

As for snow leopard I'm mostly looking forward to the core-optimization and the OS shrinking! Being intel only, we no longer have to carry all that PowerPC code on our drives.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Thanks for the tip Taylor! That huge button is just ridiculous, that theme makes firefox usable again.

As for snow leopard I'm mostly looking forward to the core-optimization and the OS shrinking! Being intel only, we no longer have to carry all that PowerPC code on our drives.

Just reminded myself how nasty firefox looks when I reinstalled it. What were they thinking?

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
If anyone cares, VMWare Fusion 2, Beta 2 works in Snow Leopard now.

And MacBook Air users who are suffering from Core Shutdowns, thats actually fixed (at least from what I've noticed) in Snow Leopard ( I have yet to get a core shutdown even with heavy processing apps and dual screen)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.