Snow Leopard Printer Drivers

Discussion in 'macOS' started by leistnerm, Sep 4, 2009.

1. leistnerm macrumors newbie

Just wanted to give a little help to the people with printers no longer supported on snow leopard that used to work under leopard.

I was able to get my parents 'unsupported' HP printer working in snow leopard by doing the following:

Insert a Leopard DVD
    Run the printer drivers optional install of of the Leopard disk.
    Open the Print & Fax settings under System Preferences
    Right click in the white 'Printers' box on the left of the screen and select 'Reset printing system'

After doing this (and rebooting somewhere during the processes), the printer seems to be working fine.

My reasoning for attempting this is I hadn't seen any major details on driver level changes to the Kernel and figured the old printer drivers probably just were not moved to 64 bit.

Since my parent's iMac only runs in 32 bit mode anyways, I figured I'd give it a shot.

Now, before anyone goes and tries this out, please run a time machine backup. No guarentees it won't blow up your nice shiny computer and set your pants on fire. But it did work here, and now my parent's aren't out a few hundred for a new printer...

Hopefully this helps someone! :)

2. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

I also want to chime in regarding some of the Canon printer drivers.

After I noticed some of my scanners weren't working after the Snow Leopard Upgrade, I installed all of the 1GB + printer drivers on the Snow Leopard disc (under Extras) and they still didn't work. Rebooted and reinstalled, and it still didn't work. I checked Canon's support page and they have a dedicated Snow Leopard drivers page and my printer/scanners were listed as "Drivers Located on Disk." They also have a separate link that you can manually download drivers from the Canon support page, and that instantly started working for me.

Bottom line: If the Snow Leopard disk didn't work, check the manufacturer's support page and download their driver.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The only way for me to get my canon printer working is to install SL w/o any printer drivers and then install the canon drivers, after removing the version check file from the install dmg