Snow Leopard: Printer problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacOCD, Sep 6, 2009.

1. MacOCD macrumors regular

I got snow leopard and it will not work with my hp printer... Does any one know how to fix this problem? I do need my printer :]

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It would help to know what model you're trying to use. Have you successfully used it under Leopard?

3. gmanterry macrumors regular

gmanterry

I think you may be out of luck.

I have read that HP does not yet have drivers to support Snow Leopard. I just helped a friend today, to partition his HD so he can boot into Leopard when he needs to print on his HP printer. We searched the HP site for new drivers but alas, there were none. What a pain, but hopefully, it's only temporary.

Terry

4. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Some are, some aren't, some aren't but are coming. See
    here for a list of whats supported and not.

5. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

be patient young one [​IMG] lol, I have the exact problem, luckily i have leo on another partition. I called up HP asking them for help and they said that it could be next month before drivers are available for download... ARGH, you get a mac just so you dont worry about drivers then your stupid printer gets you back!

6. TrumpetSAJ macrumors newbie

Possible Snow Leopard Printing Solution

Here’s how I got my HP 4MV working with Snow Leopard:

1. Print the Self Test page on your printer and locate the IP address for the printer.

2. Click on the Print/Fax icon in the System Preferences page from your Mac.

3. Select the + sign below the Printers window on the left side.

4. In the Protocol line select HP Jetdirect – Socket.

5. In the address line, type in the IP address from your printer’s test page printout.

6. In the Print Using line select Select Printer Software.

7. Scroll down and select your printer by name.

8. Hit the Add button.

I would guess other printers would work in a similar manner.

7. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

So as my LJ1020 was never supported under OS X I guess I shouldn't worry too much

8. gmanterry macrumors regular

gmanterry

Thanks Tumbleweed666

It appears we missed that page. Thanks.

Terry

9. eaglegray macrumors newbie

Fix for HP printer problem on Snow Leopard

HP printer driver and Snow Leopard - A Fix
    Initially, after installing Snow Leopard on my iMac the new OS didn't recognize my printer, which is a basic budget HP Deskjet F4100. After a bit of fiddling I discovered the fix (at least it worked for my model HP).
    Just select whatever you want to print, then open Print window (Command 'P'). You want to see the Full printer info window, the one that asks you how many copies you want and what paper size, etc. If you get the little window, just click the little arrow to the right of where it says the name of your printer. Okay, now you have the main Print window, so again, next to where it says the name of your printer click on the pop-up menu and click on 'Add Printer'. You will get another window where the name of your current printer will again appear. Select that, then click 'Add'. Yet another window should appear that will prompt you to 'download' or 'install' the 'software' for the selected printer (which is your EXISTING printer - don't be confused). Then it's just a matter of waiting till the computer connects with the website to download the 'new' Snow Leopard driver. I realize it doesn't sound correct having to re-select your own printer using 'Add Printer', as if it is a totally different one. But the reasons are complicated. It has to do with the fact that the new Snow Leopard does not come with the dozens of drivers that the older OS had, so when you convert to Snow Leopard, it does not recognize the existing printer as the 'Default' printer -- you must re-select it as an 'Additional' printer in order for it to say, 'Oh, here's something new, so I must go to the internet to find the correct driver for it.'
    All I can say is that is how it worked for my printer. It's possible that Apple has not made every driver available for all HP products. But, so far as I have read, virtually all HP printers as well as other common printers, have software available online for Snow Leopard.

10. kaalgat macrumors newbie

TrumpetSAJ, you are Da Man!

Excellent! This worked for me. The only thing I would add is to insert "Printer" in the "Queue" field.

That said, I'd been searching for ages to get my HP M4V to work and after reading this, I had it up in 5 minutes.

Thanks!

11. LenaH macrumors newbie

snow leopard/ hp printer problems

i was visiting my sister in another state and wanted to use her hp printer. her printer was just old enough that my macbook didn't work with it. i updated her printer software to whatever the latest version was for her printer and then added the updated printer to my laptop. it worked just fine.

hope this helps.:)