Snow Leopard printing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by eN0ch, Aug 29, 2009.

1. eN0ch macrumors newbie

I may be missing something. But at least on appearances so far, whilst Apple's +idea+ of having drivers automatically downloaded and installed through Software Update sounds brilliant and so user-friendly, it doesn't seem terribly reliable in practice. And if users may find they can't use their printer/s without a lot of tinkering and chasing obscure solutions - or even can't use them at all because no driver exists -- then it becomes the opposite of user-friendly!!

It doesn't make a lot of sense to release a system upgrade if users are faced with a printing lucky dip - i.e. your printer might or might not work and might or might not turn out to have a driver now (or perhaps ever), and you won't find out one way or 'tother until after you've upgraded.

I spent my first 24 hours finding a very obscure solution to using my Samsung laser ML-2510, involving a hidden function in the Print & Fax prefs. That was resolved yesterday.

Today I'm at work, where my printer is an HP Deskjet F4185. So far I can't use that printer, apparently for a different reason. I try to add the printer -- the system tells me Apple will download the driver -- I get a message back saying the driver isn't available and check software update again later. And then I Iook up the tech support section on the HP site, to read that the old drivers won't support 10.6 (so don't bother installing from the existing disk) and that downloading the drivers from Apple is the only way to go. So who knows when I'll be able to use the only printer at work? (BTW it was released less than 2 years ago.)

As I said, I may be missing something, but it doesn't look encouraging.

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

According to this, HP Deskjet, Officejet, and Photosmart All-in-One Printers - Mac OS: Setting Up and Using the Product in Mac OS X 10.6, the drivers for your HP Deskjet F4185 should be installed with 10.6.

Or from this page:
    :apple: Mac OS X v10.6: Printer and scanner software

Hope this helps.

3. eN0ch thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Yes, the printer is listed there .. which is just curious, because it's not listed on Apple's own knowledgebase document about SL printing. And my system certainly doesn't think it has the driver when I try to add the printer.

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

That is odd, I wonder which document is correct. Maybe you could try contacting HP about it?

5. pruppert macrumors 6502

pruppert

See this page on the Apple support forums.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2131363&tstart=0

In there, a guy who works for HP details the reasons and possible solutions for people having trouble printing in 10.6. I found out that the drivers for my HP printer were not included in Snow Leopard but will very likely be included in a forthcoming HP Printer Drivers download through software update.

6. eN0ch thread starter macrumors newbie

pruppert,

Thanks for posting that link. Most informative.

And it highlights one issue for which Apple deserve to be roasted alive. SL was due for release at the end of September, and then with about a week's warning they released it a month early. Result: developers caught on the hop, often with small teams and no hope of meeting the revised deadline. I've come across this now with HP re printer drivers, and Agile with 1Password.

Who knows how many of us are being grossly inconvenienced (or worse) and with how many apps?

Not helpful, Apple :mad:

7. Phil Lee macrumors 6502

Reading through the Apple support post I see that HP are no longer supporting my printer, a Deskjet 5650, which was supported under Leopard. Is it possible to install the Leopard drivers under Snow Leopard?

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have found my HP laser jet 1012 is supported and drivers are on the DVD. I opted to install drivers myself as well thinking it was too good to be true that the drivers would work out of the box.

I have the 1012 hooked up to my AEBS, which I use for both work and home. I have found printing to be completely dysfunctional on the 1012, so much so it is now directly connected to work, where I use it most often.

Though a solution has been posted a resolution has not been achieved on my end. For this, I call Apple to the carpet because I believe HP has done all they can.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

My HP 1012 won't work over my AE either. Also stopped working wirelessly on another Mac so I blame Apple for this.

10. eN0ch thread starter macrumors newbie

I suggest reading the Apple forum thread highlighted in pruppert's post.

11. Phil Lee macrumors 6502

There wasn't a lot of help for me in that thread. I did try installing the Leopard driver that I downloaded from the HP website but got an error message when adding the printer. It was version 3.3 of the driver where I was using version 3.3.3 in Leopard. Once I'd got rid of that driver I was able to print using the DeskJet 5400 driver but it wasn't great quality.

I'm going to have a go at trying to use the Leopard driver from a backup to see if that works. Failing that I'm going to have to try the hpijs drivers.

This is a real headache and makes me wonder why I bothered upgrading to Snow Leopard.

12. Phil Lee macrumors 6502

In reply to my own post, I didn't bother trying the drivers from a backup. Instead I downloaded and installed the installed the HPIJS drivers which include support for 776 printers unders Snow Leopard, including my HP DeskJet 5650. The drivers come in 3 parts and once installed give you additional printers with a /hpijs suffix. The 5650 drivers installed with no problem for my printer and I was able to print out a web page from Safari successfully. Incidentally, the printer is attached to a TimeCapsule.