Snow Leopard - Problems with windows fileshares

Discussion in 'macOS' started by seer, Sep 1, 2009.

1. seer macrumors member

Driving me nuts! I can write to the Windows Home Server fileshares no problem, but cannot read from them at all! I see the files, but attempting to install software from those shares doesnt work, trying to copy files from those shares doesnt work, and even trying cp or mv from the command line gives errors. Any ideas folks?

An attempted mounting of an iso (i.e. doubleclick) from one of the shares results in the error seen in the attached screenshot

If I try and copy / paste from the share to my desktop I get "The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “Firefox 3.0.7.dmg” can’t be read or written. (Error code -36)"

If I try to manually copy via command line I get cp: Firefox 3.0.7.dmg: Input/output error

Attached Files:

2. seer thread starter macrumors member

Update and bump.

I have tried a suggestion found elsewhere which was disabling ipv6

No joy

From a general impression I get from search results is that it could be some bug where even though you are mounting the volume as authenticated user, reading is being done as guest?

3. seer thread starter macrumors member

Final bump to add a link to a thread on the apple forums of the same issue suffered by many people.

I'll paste my update here too:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10119599#10119599

OK - I have the same problem with Windows Shares

For example, I want to use a firefox.dmg file on my home server (running WHS). The server is called bigbox and the path to the file is Software/OSX/firefox3.07.dmg

See the screenshot here which shows all the permissions at every level and I have read and write everywhere (As I should because I am connecting as bigbox\administrator)

http://erzz.com/downloads/errorcode36.jpg

If I try to execute the file directly of the share I get the input/output error (also included in the screenshot), if I try to copy the file from the share to my mac I get the error code 36 (also included in the screenshot) and if I try and copy via terminal I get "cp: Firefox 3.0.7.dmg: Input/output error"

Now to add some further mystery I WAS able to use these shares just fine with a fresh install of 10a432. I know this because I installed most of the software on the system from this same share. Thus one of the two(?) updates since could be the culprit?

I can create directories on the share, I can copy files from the mac to the share, and I can happily browse the share .... but not read!

Seriously, this is about the 15th issue I have spent many hours on already with Snow Leopard..... whatever happened to 'Just Works' ???