Snow Leopard - Problems with windows fileshares

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by seer, Sep 4, 2009.

1. seer macrumors member

I am posting this on a few forums as I am at my wits end trying to resolve this issue. It seems to effect a lot of people and there are posts on the apple forums, but no solution anywhere. So I am posting this on the mac pro forum as you guys seem a lot more knowledgeable than those on the OSX forum :)

The basic problem is this - I am able to write to Windows SMB mounted shares but not READ. I can create directories on the share, I can copy files from my mac to the share, and I can happily browse the share .... but not read/execute files!

For example, I want to use a firefox.dmg file on my home server (running WHS). The server is called bigbox and the path to the file is Software/OSX/firefox3.07.dmg

See the screenshot here which shows all the permissions at every level and I have read and write everywhere (As I should because I am connecting as bigbox\administrator)

http://erzz.com/downloads/errorcode36.jpg

If I try to execute the file directly of the share I get the input/output error (also included in the screenshot), if I try to copy the file from the share to my mac I get the error code 36 (also included in the screenshot) and if I try and copy via terminal I get "cp: Firefox 3.0.7.dmg: Input/output error"

Now to add some further mystery I WAS able to use these shares just fine with a fresh install of 10a432. I know this because I installed most of the software on the system from this same share. Thus one of the two(?) updates since could be the culprit?

Seriously, this is about the 15th issue I have spent many hours on already with Snow Leopard..... whatever happened to 'Just Works' ???

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

I know that SL made changes on how they interface with NTFS drives. You can now "see" HFS+ formatted drives from Windows that uses Bootcamp 3.0. This works on my EFI64 uMBP quite nicely. I suspect it has also reverse impact on the way SL "sees" NTFS drives. Just an idea.

3. matthewtoney macrumors regular

matthewtoney

Weird Behaviour

That is seriously strange - thing is, I'm running in a similar environment - bunch of SMB Windows shares on multiple boxes for media and applications both and I'm not seeing this behaviour at all. (I've also let it install all updates)

I don't think the NTFS stuff would have anything to do with this though - with this being over SMB shares the underlying file system on the server itself is totally unknown to the Mac.

4. matthewtoney macrumors regular

matthewtoney

Windows Version

BTW, meant to mention in the previous post - what version of Windows is on the other end doing the file sharing in your case? (for me with a similar setup but it all working it's Windows 2003 Server)

5. seer thread starter macrumors member

Actually I am back here to say (rather embarrassingly ) that it was in fact that the external disk I have attached to the WHS was not seated quite correctly. I only worked this out because I wanted to test the files locally on the WHS. So I remote desktop'd in and found I couldnt access them there either *blush*

Strange as the whole setup has been sat there in the workroom for 18 months untouched ...there must have been an earth tremor or something to shake it loose!

Still doesnt explain the dozens of people complaining of the exact same symptoms in the apple networking forum.... but my issue is resolved at least

6. matthewtoney macrumors regular

matthewtoney

Maybe there's just dozens of people in there with loose drive connections? :)

Glad to hear its resolved and it was nothing more major than that - my shares are all on an HP WHS box as well - those things are awesome. :)