Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Hello, I have had Snow Leopard for a while now but recently I realised that there was one feature I didn't seem to have....and that is put away. It just does not show in the right click menu on any of my items in my trash. Option clicking the file also does not show this menu. Why is it not showing?

Thanks in advance.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I have Snow Leopard and I just put something in the trash to try this. I have the 'put back' option, it is located on the little gear menu. To see it and use it... first highlight the item in trash that you want to restore. Then click on the gear. 'Put Back' is the 3rd item down after open and ope with...

I tried it and it did put the item back where I deleted it from.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Hello, I have had Snow Leopard for a while now but recently I realised that there was one feature I didn't seem to have....and that is put away. It just does not show in the right click menu on any of my items in my trash. Option clicking the file also does not show this menu. Why is it not showing?

Thanks in advance.

Any of your items? Are you sure about that?

Create a folder on your desktop, then drag it to the trash. Look inside the trash and try to Put Back.

Also, some things will end up in the trash and not have a put back option. An example of this would be a zip file downloaded by Safari and automatically unzipped in your downloads folder and then silently moved to your trash.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Hmm, I just tested that by deleting something from the desktop. the option appeared. The files I had in there before were deleted from itunes, does that matter?

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Hmm, I just tested that by deleting something from the desktop. the option appeared. The files I had in there before were deleted from itunes, does that matter?

It shouldn't matter. I tested it out and deleted something from my movie folder and it got 'put back' correctly.
edit: when I delete music from inside of iTunes it doesn't even go to my trash... it's deleted permanently.

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
I had accidentally deleted some music from iTunes too and I also found that the putback feature was not there. I was pissed because it was like half of my entire library. I had to do a time machine restore because there were so many files and they were all unorganized the second they got moved to the trash.

Mumford

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2006
Altadena, CA
I had accidentally deleted some music from iTunes too and I also found that the putback feature was not there. I was pissed because it was like half of my entire library. I had to do a time machine restore because there were so many files and they were all unorganized the second they got moved to the trash.

I may be wrong, but I think put back only works for things that are deleted through the finder. If you delete songs through iTunes or pictures through iPhoto, it's a different ball game.

When you restored from Time Machine, did you just restore your entire ~/Music/iTunes folder, or just the files you deleted? Restoring the entire folder would also have restored the iTunes database which should have brought everything back organized as it was before.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
When you restored from Time Machine, did you just restore your entire ~/Music/iTunes folder, or just the files you deleted? Restoring the entire folder would also have restored the iTunes database which should have brought everything back organized as it was before.

He isnt complaining that happened, he's complaining that put back wouldnt work which is why he used TM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.