Snow Leopard Q&A

Discussion in 'macOS' started by borcanm, Feb 17, 2009.

1. borcanm macrumors regular

Hi guys I have a few questions that need answering.

Q1. I have a 1st gen. MBP (2.16Ghz, 2G ram, ATI 1600X) and would like to know if Snow Leopard will make it run faster?

Q2 Will Snow Leopard use less system resources than Leopard or Tiger?

Thanks for the help

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I imagine that anyone who has the developer's copy of 10.6 is under a non-disclosure agreement, so any answers to your questions are likely to be pure speculation.

Probably. 99.99999999999% likely it'll run on that hardware. That's the point of it. It's an optimized version of 10.5, so it should run "faster" and use less "resources". Though I wouldn't expect the bloat to be reduced too much.

3. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

This is correct. You're unlikely to find one of us who wants to violate their NDA to answer this question. :)

I can, however, tell you a kind of general answer that might help answer your second question.

With most OS releases Apple tends to optimize the existing technologies. Stuff like FileVault and Spotlight received considerable performance improvements in Leopard. This is usually offset, however, by the introduction of new (possibly poorly-optimized) technologies. The net effect tends to be that any machines well within the recommended system requirements receive a slight performance improvement, while those right above the cutoff experience slightly worse performance.

Now if you've been following the news about Snow Leopard you know that one of the focuses of the release is performance. You can therefore (hopefully) guess what that means in the context of the above paragraph.

And no, I'm not going to run XBench for you. ;-)

4. mogzieee macrumors 6502a