Snow Leopard Quicker?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Freis968, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Ha, I don't see it. My apps take longer to launch than they did in OS X.

Apps folder, the apps are a bit disjointed and I have to hit arrange all by name to get them in order.

Documents - some of the documents have a perforated outline before they actually appear as thumbnails and take a few seconds to load in, again not like OS X.

iChat encryption - I fired up my iChat window and I got an encryption prompt saying that my encryption has expired and asked if I wanted to renew it, I said Ok and then the encryption fails? LOL! Oh boy, what an upgrade.

Mail - I close mail and it just sits there 5/10 times and I have to force quit it to get it to close.

So, as of yet, it is not impressing me, I am eagerly awaiting an update to fix some of these issues.

I must say though, that despite pissing me off quite a bit, I do love the screen recording and the nice new features of Quicktime X, but like most of you I had to reinstall Quicktime Pro 7 to keep my format conversion. This reminds me of the iMovie situation we just went through with the past iLife upgrade where many had to retain iLife '06 HD to keep many of the features that were left out of iLife '08. Why Apple would not stock Quicktime X full of all the QT7 features is beyond me.

Well, I am just over here chugging along dealing with SL for the time being.

2. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

Well what operating system are you using now? Snow Leopard is still OS X.;)

3. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

Startup and shutdown - Maybe a second or two, not very noticeable.

Apps - After the first reboot, starting up the apps took longer than usual. After this first startup, they are back up to speed.

Printing - First print job took a while to send to printer.

I did have one incident where Fnc+F11 didn't work as it should and I couldn't COM+TAB to toggle apps. After I restarted, it worked again.

Figured there would be bugs...so far, someone could have installed SL on my computer without telling me and I likely wouldn't be able to tell.

4. Maury macrumors 6502

Give it a while. Just after install my machine was grinding, but after a few hours and a reboot it's running FAR faster than 10.5 did. The disk is rarely even hit now, Safari loads pages faster, programs load faster, etc. It's definitely a major improvement.

Maury

5. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

Have you done a restart? Mine was a little quirky after the first start-up with SL, but after a restart everything was blazing fast.

6. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

For me, Apps are loading significantly faster than Leopard. Everything is noticeably faster for me (startup/shutdown/sleep/app launching/app responsiveness).

Almost every single Apple app takes less than a bounce to open. I can't believe that the performance would be this much better.

I even made this thread about my experiences with Snow Leopard performance:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=775185

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I haven't experienced any slowdowns. Everything is twice as fast as Leopard for me.

8. Freis968 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Still slow...notice something as simple as emptying the trash takes longer with one or two small docs in it to empty!

After all this time it seems to be getting slower.

Well, nothing that a new Mac Pro can't fix, that hopefully IS coming out in the next few months.