Snow Leopard Random Black Screen

kevmcintosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I have a external monitor plugged in and I use my Macbook Pro (2009 Uni) as a secondary monitor. Randomly, the macbook screen just goes black. If I move my mouse on to the macbook screen, I can see the mouse cursor, but the rest of the screen is black! It's driving me mad!

The only fix is to un-plug the monitor adaptor or adjust display arrangements. It's really cramping my style.

michael3890

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2009
Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I have a external monitor plugged in and I use my Macbook Pro (2009 Uni) as a secondary monitor. Randomly, the macbook screen just goes black. If I move my mouse on to the macbook screen, I can see the mouse cursor, but the rest of the screen is black! It's driving me mad!

The only fix is to un-plug the monitor adaptor or adjust display arrangements. It's really cramping my style.
Check if you are downloading .flv files when it happens, and perhaps browsing the folder in Finder, it happens to me.

Comment

kevmcintosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Wow, thats odd you mention that. I'm downloading about 70 FLV files right now in transmit to my desktop. Is that really the cause of this? I of course use finder all the time, but I'm mostly in Photoshop and it does it over and over. Really annoying since my tools pallet is over on the other monitor.

Comment

michael3890

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2009
Snow Leopard Random Black Screen

It's only when I browse the folder with Finder with the incomplete .flv file that I come across the black screen. what happens if you download to a folder you don't access.

Comment

kevmcintosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Wow, how horribly stupid is that? Closed the finder window with the FLV's and it hasn't done it since. Any clue as to the root of problem? So strange.

Comment

michael3890

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2009
I can only guess its something to do with the updated Preview feature, because I don't remember it happen to me in 10.5.8

Comment

kevmcintosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Are you on 10.6.2? I don't remember this happening in 10.6.1. I deal with FLV's all the time.

Comment

michael3890

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2009
yes I am on 10.6.2, MBP with external 24" display. can't recall if I downloaded any .flv files under 10.6 or 10.6.1.

Comment

kevmcintosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
This is a very odd bug. I'll have to report it to Apple, but I doubt they will understand what is going on since it's such a strange issue.

Comment