Snow Leopard Rant

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mrclark321, Sep 17, 2009.

1. mrclark321 macrumors newbie

OK....I'm tired and had a nice big rum and ginger so I am ranting!!! Since the install of snow leopard my View NX does not work, lots of apps in CS4 don't work and God knows what else. Wish they would have taken some more time for the upgrade :(

Hope things are sorted out soon....There screw ups are costing me money in my business

Dan

2. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Whose screw ups?

You should test your apps to make sure they are compatible. If they aren't you don't run the new OS. That's all on you. Also, you should be checking with the folks that wrote the apps to see what they are doing to fix their apps.

Jeez.....

S-

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

A business rushing to upgrade to Snow Leopard without research? Why?

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Any business where the computer is critical, it always pays to run a drive with a second bootable copy of the OS.

Once you prove that the OS or upgrade is stable, you can upgrade the 2nd drive.

If not, boot from the second while you work on fixing the 1st drive later.

---

Also the 2nd bootable drive always makes repairing the 1st easier.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Any business where the computer is critical, it always pays to run a drive with a second copy of the OS.

Once you prove that the OS or upgrade is stable, you can upgrade the 2nd drive.

If not, boot from the second while you work on fixing the 1st drive later.

---

Also the 2nd bootable drive always makes repairing the 1st easier.

For those with critical SW, adding critical apps to this drive makes unwinding that easier also.

6. After G macrumors 68000

After G

7. ivnj macrumors 65816

And how do you test them if you don't have snow installed.

8. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

You install it on another disk. It's not Apple's responsibility to make sure all apps are compatible.

S-

9. creon macrumors 6502

If I had a business I would of waited until I knew that all of my Apps worked well with the new OS and that's what you should of done.

With all every new OS there is going to be conflicting occasions regarding the new OS and you knew of this before hand.

So, please don't rant to Apple.

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

It amazes me that a talented bunch on MR doesn't know the simplist of methods to test out mission critical apps on a new OS. Just simply partition your hard disk and install SL on it and test out your very important apps first. Why anyone would install a new OS blindly without testing their critical apps first is beneath me? The OP should've done his homework first before blaming Apple or even Adobe for that matter. :p

11. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Some of my apps are critical for school. All I did was clone my computer to another harddrive, then installed snow leopard on my computer. If an essential app didn't work I can just clone right back.

Everything worked except my eSata cards so I am happy.

12. ivnj macrumors 65816

Well there is a problem with that route. I mean that's a good idea. But you still have to buy the os to run the test. Like windows have their adviser thingee so you know before you upgrade. If you have to spend 30 dollars just to find out if something may or many not workthen that is a waste of 30 dollars.

And if it doesn't work then what, just throw the os away. Or wait 3 years to hope it may get fixed and then find out they have no plans to ever make an update. So 30 dollars wasted. Or wait anyway before buying the os. But all the time you waited it could of worked and you waited for nothing. So it's a hit or miss. But if it's a miss then you just wasted 30 dollars.

You can always check the manufacturers website. But if they don't say and never reply emails then you have no choise but to buy the os to try and hope you didn't just waste 30 dollars.

OK, 30 is not much but when they make 10.7 or whatever is next then it will probably be full $129. And if your snow apps don't work on 10.7 then $ you just wasted $129 dollars. And even if its brand new less than 1 week sinse release there is no guarantee even EBAY will give you all $129 back + shipping + listing fees. So it's wasting money if there is no tool to advise ahead of time.

And on another note I thought I read in some blog some guy said he installed snow leopard in place and it made a new folder saying unsupported apps. But I don't see that and can't find the link anymore either.

13. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You're taking this way out of proportion, you're missing the point. This is not about a hypothetical situation, and this is not about what Windows does better. This is about people who have already bought the OS and they just blindly install it over their mission critical apps and then when things don't run right they come here and cry. Partition your hard drive and install SL on it and install those apps that you want to test. You will still have your main install in tact so if your apps aren't ready for SL you can simply keep the partition for more testing or just dump the partition and your main install is still untouched. Is that so hard??? Instead, what do people do here? They blame Apple when the 3rd party companies have had plenty of time to get their apps updated, but if they chose not to the customer should be more annoyed at the 3rd parties, you can't blame Apple for companies being lazy.

14. ivnj macrumors 65816

I see your point. All I'm saying is why would you even buy it in the first place if you know it won't run anything you need it to? He may not of bought it in the first place if he knew ahead of time that his apps were not compatible.

15. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Welcome to the real world. Businesses buy software all the time that is never put into production. Plus, he will use the OS eventually after the apps he runs are made compatible.

S-

16. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Then you have to ask yourself why are you upgrading at all? Just for the sake of it? For bragging rights? For some promised app/feature, which in itself can never be guaranteed. You say that the $129 dollars might be too much, but he's probably lost far more then that through lost profit.

Moving to a whole new OS from pretty much a Day-Zero Launch could never be recommonded to business models that generates their revenue from 100% up time. Snow Leopard is what, 4 weeks old, with one dot release? It harks back to the saying, if it aint broke, don't fix it (contrite, I know, but applicable)

My sympathies do lie with the OP. I, too, worked in a 'Mission Critical' team and environment. We had about twenty five macs all running on Tiger, and I believe to this day, they still are. I understand how much this is hurting (power cut, and then ironically, our backup generator failed too)

Learn from this. Research your options. If you dont need/require it, leave it. If you do need it, backup, then backup again. Don't just 'flick the switch'.

Regards,

Maw

17. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well, you're preaching to the choir on this one, the OP is the one you should be telling this to, however, I'm no fanboy of Adobe, they annoy me quite a bit however they did put out a full statement that CS4 is fully compatible with Snow Leopard. The OP is saying many of his CS4 apps aren't working. At this point I'm inclined to believe Adobe has tested SL and the fault lies on the OP. We don't know what else is on his computer, we don't know if he did an upgrade or a clean install and manually installed his apps back. We don't know what kind (if any) haxies he has installed that may be corrupting his CS4 experience, he's just telling us he's drunk and he's ranting about his CS4 issues.