Snow Leopard Reinstall failed (blue screen)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jamieh94, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Jamieh94 macrumors newbie

A few days ago my Macbook Pro (15-inch), when I tried booting it, got stuck on the blue screen after taking a rather long time to load.

Hereafter, I used the Disk Utility on the disk to perform a scan, and there seemed to be nothing wrong with the HD.
    After this I made a back-up of the HD and "erased" it. Then I tried to reinstall, but it came up with an error message - about 11 minutes prior to the ending of the installation.
    I tried installing it again and again and agáin..
    am I missing something? What's going wrong?

Thanx!

BTW: Pretty much don't know anything, so I'd appreciate 'full' explanations; already of myself that I was able to work out how the Disk Utility works.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. Jamieh94 thread starter macrumors newbie

2010, Macbook Pro 15-inch
    A1286

4. dontpannic macrumors 6502

dontpannic

I would assume it could be logic board or memory issues.

If you take it to an apple store they'll be able to run full diagnostics on it I think?

5. Jamieh94 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did that once before (yes, it also happened once before) and then it turned out that nothing was wrong, I was just "supposed to go home and 'erase and install' it"
    so...

6. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I would delete the partition, repartition, and then reformat the drive, then try again. Make sure you do these after starting up from the disc.

7. Jamieh94 thread starter macrumors newbie

but, if i delete the partition, doesn't it automatically repartition? can i do that separately..?
    and uhm...how do i reformat? (like i said, don't know how to do ANYTHING)
    sorry...but thanx already! :)

8. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

When you delete the partition (go into Disk Utility after booting from CD as it won't allow it otherwise and select the partition underneath the mounted drive and then select the disc mounted and then the partition tab. Delete the partition select 1 partition from the drop down, name the partition I suggest something like MAC HDD, the format type from the drop down, that disc value should be the available size of the disc, and then click apply). When the disc partition and format is complete, exit disk utility and then start the install.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

While this may or may not help you, first make sure that SL disk isn't really scratched. Is SL the only partition on the disk? Under erase I would select the option to zero out the disk (via disk utility in the SL install disk). That way it at least checks for bad sectors. If there is a bootcamp partition or anything on the drive, create a backup of that one before proceeding.