Snow Leopard Reinstall

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MasterBJ, Oct 11, 2009.

1. MasterBJ macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I've been wanting to install windows XP using boot camp on my mac, but I can for some reason, and I get the advice to create a disk image using Disk Utility and then reinstall using this disk image. But I recently upgraded to snow leopard with a one time upgrade disc, should I now use this disc when I'm going to reinstall, or use the mac os recovery disc, and if I use the recovery disc, does my mac still run snow leopard afterwards, since this is a leopard recovery disc.

Thanks

PS: My Config: iMac 2.66 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, OS: Mac OS X 10.6.1

2. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Sorry I don't understand, you want to reinstall what?
    Yes you can use that disk to reinstall SL.

Why would you reinstall using a recovery disk?

Can't you get Windows XP installed properly just by inserting the DVD into your DVD drive and running BootCamp and following the prompts?

Kind Regards

3. MasterBJ thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem is that when I try to partition, I can't, and I get the message that I need to create a disk image, and reinstall from it, but I want to make sure I still got snow leopard afterwards, or that I have the possibility to reinstall it, from my one time upgrade disc

4. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

So you're worried that you might lose SL if you install Windows XP?
    Why can't you make a new partition in Boot Camp?

The error message doesn't make sense, if you're trying to install Windows XP, you can't reinstall it. Or is it wanting you to reinstall Snow Leopard?

You should be able to run Boot Camp Assistant (in Snow Leopard) and create a partition from a hard drive of your choice, and it should format that new partition for you.
    It should then reboot and run the Windows installer.

Is that what you want to happen?
    Perhaps something here will help you: http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

EDIT: I just ran Boot Camp Assistant, click Continue, select Create or remove a Windows partition, select the option "Create a second partition for Windows", select a hard drive that you want to create a partition from, set the amount of space you want, and you should be able to follow through from there.

Kind Regards

5. MasterBJ thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, but my disk is too fragmented to partition, so i have to reinstall SL, I made a disk image of the HD, and now want to reinstall, but I want to know if I can still install SL afterwards, because I bought a one-time upgrade copy, and should I use the SL disk or the Leo disk?

6. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

From what I know, the upgrade is identical to the full disk, the only difference is the license.
    I don't understand what you mean by "too fragmented", and I don't quite understand what your doing exactly, but that doesn't matter as long as you do.

You can't reinstall Snow Leopard with a Leopard DVD. Don't try it :p

As long as you only have one active copy of OSX running then you can do whatever you want with your upgrade disk.

So if you intend to reinstall, that should be fine.

Kind Regards