Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Camar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
My Macbook Pro (early 2011) came with Lion installed (no disks) and I want to downgrade to Snow Leopard. I don't care about saving my current data, I just want a clean install of Snow Leopard. My issue is I don't know which OS disk to buy. Do I need to buy OS X Leopard, install it, then update it to Snow Leopard? Or can I just buy the Snow Leopard retail disk? The reason I'm hesitant in buying the snow leopard disk is because it seems WAY too cheap for a full OS disk. The apple store has it listed for $27. My computer didn't come with any disks and I'm kinda new to Macs so sorry if this is a dumb question. Thanks

macfan74318

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2011
You will need a copy of the disk, I bought the 2.2 i7 refurbished model and it came with Snow Leopard disks, I am not sure if there is a legal way that I could give you a copy. The only thing that I can think of is to create a "backup" (allowed under DMCA) and host it in my Dropbox and I could accidentally PM you the link, but like I said I am not sure if this is legal.

macfan74318

Last edited:

Camar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
You will need a copy of the disk, I bought the 2.2 i7 refurbished model and it came with Snow Leopard disks, I am not sure if there is a legal way that I could give you a copy. The only thing that I can think of is to create a "backup" (allowed under DMCA) and host it in my Dropbox and I could accidentally PM you the link, but like I said I am not sure if this is legal.

macfan74318

Thanks, but I don't think it's worth it if we have to do something that might be illegal. I don't have a problem paying for the disk. Compared to Windows OS disks, $29 is already a steal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.