Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Myst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Hey everyone, I've been looking everywhere for a solution for this problem and so far no luck.

I got my copy of snow leopard yesterday, install went perfectly and everything is working well. However flash has completely stopped working in safari. On youtube, blip TV, even ads! It just sort of leaves a gap for it but doesn't load.

Screen+shot+2009-08-29+at+09.01.50+AM.png

I've tried un-installing all my plugins, those being adblock, greasekit and glims. Tried re-installing flash, then completely un-installing flash, then installing it again. Then i tired re-installing safari from the snow leopard DVD with no luck. I've made sure that my safari preferences are okay with the "enable plugs-ins" box checked. I've tried turning my firewall off. NOTHING has worked. :mad:

I've tried to run safari in 32bit mode (cmd+i and setting the preferences), however activity monitor still tells me that it's running in 64bit. Which is a bit odd. :confused:

The thing thats pissing me off the most is that flash is working in every other web browser i have installed. Firefox, opera, even the alpha builds of google chrome for mac ffs!

I have a macbook bought in February 2009 with the aluminium body. 2Ghz, 2GB RAM and an 160GB hard drive.

I am now completely stumped for ideas, anyone know what I should try next? :confused::confused::confused:

biblicabeebli

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2009
Same dealy here

I am having the exact same problem.

I did a wipe and install of snow leopard, and then a not-quite copy of all data from my external hard drive (no programs, everything else). Javascript, quicktime, and I think the Divx plugin all run, but Flash and Silverlight (I think) do not.

I have gone and check all my special prefs I set for Safari using Macpilot, but even when toggling most of those functionality did not return.

The best way I have found to run to get around the problem of a browser not having flash is by running a heavy firefox (lots of plugins), with a very light safari. I enable the developer menu and turn off scripting quite often, and sometimes even images. Combined with the webkit HTML renderer it runs much faster than anything else, and when I need those things (gmail, youtube, hulu, netflix, tower defense games...), I swap over to firefox.

I have noticed one other change, I am not sure if it is due to a lack of flash or snow leopard, but safari has not crashed once no matter what I throw at it. 65 tabs and I am clicking around like an ADD weasel? 20 downloads? sure it gets choppy, but this thing used to crash when I used 2-finger scrolling too vehemently.

Duendito

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2009
Maybe it's Rick Astley's fault? :D but seriously, have you been to Apple's support forum to see if there's a solution?

BollywooD

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2005
Hamburg
This drove me crazy for a long time, till I found the solution:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9605990&#9605990

try the attched script I made to fix it

all it does is delete the folder
~/Library/Preferences/Macromedia

Ive added the script to the Scripts folder:
/Library/Scripts/

and have enabled the scripts menu item - so that whenever Flash gets messed up, im only a click away from a fix.

Attachments

• Fix Flash Player.zip
    252.6 KB · Views: 172
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.