Snow Leopard Service Battery bug?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Artmuzz, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Artmuzz macrumors 6502

Hi,

I have OSX 10.6.1 Snow Leopard installed on one of the partitions of my Early 2007 MacBook. On the other partition I have OSX 10.4.11 Tiger installed.

When I am using Snow Leopard and click on the battery icon on the menu bar the words "Service Battery" appear yet when I am using Tiger and click on the battery icon it tells me that battery is running normal and gives me the remaining time.

Is this a bug with Snow Leopard?

Please advise

Art

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Snow Leopard adds a check on the battery condition that is not there in Tiger. Snow Leopard is reporting an issue with your battery. You should investigate this.

3. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think I'll bother investigating this as I've had my MacBook for nearly 3 years now and was thinking of buying the new unibody MacBook. Its just the bother of having to take my Macbook into an Apple centre as there are no Apple centres near me. The nearest is about 100 miles away and it would probably cost alot. If my MacBook was brand new or only a few months old then I would investigate it.

Art

4. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, it looks like I am not the only one with this problem as alot of people are complaining of this "Service Battery" warning over on the Apple support site. One guy even has this "Service Battery" warning on a new battery:eek: Also, I was shocked to find that people's battery life was better when downgrading back to Leopard.

One can only wonder if this is a money making ploy by the guys at Apple to make more money for nothing:eek:

Art

5. feuerschlange macrumors regular

less than 1/2 hour battery life with Snow Leopard and "Service battery" warning

same issues here.

I run an early 2008 Penryn 2.g GHz 15" Macbook Pro.

I usually got 2 1/2 hours a charge (which is way under the advertised battery life).

After the Snow Leopard update, I have the "Service battery" warning and my battery holds less than 1/2 hour per charge :eek::mad:

This is ridiculous. I use the MBP mainly for the job and have to run it for extended periods on battery power, when in the car, at suppliers or during journeys.

I still have to check, what Apple Care has to comment about the issue and wether or not I qualify, to have this issue solved at no additional costs, as it apparently is an issue due manufacturers fault.

Hopefully it turns out as just a software bug, which will be cured very soon.

6. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I have a MacBook Pro, just over a year old. Battery cycle count is 90 and I am getting the Service Battery warning. My wife's MacBook which is, I believe 1 year older then my MacBook and has 153 cycles to the battery is not getting a warning. I find it to be odd.. I have also noticed that my MacBook Pro doesn't last as long when just on battery, and this started after installing 10.6. I also noticed that iStat Pro says that my battery has a 52% health and her MacBook, which as I stated is a year older, has 100% health... that doesn't make sense to me at all! I know that batteries age differently but to lose half of it's life within just about a year??

7. devburke Guest

I got the service battery warning when I first installed SL, but since then it’s gone back to normal. My battery’s really toughing it out though! It’s been through 632 cycles, and still lasts a few hours! The Genius said I’d be lucky to get 20 minutes out of it. It does tend to drop out suddenly when it thinks it still has 10-20 minutes of battery, but aside from that it’s golden.