Snow Leopard Sharing question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 0hnoes, Mar 3, 2012.

1. 0hnoes macrumors newbie

Long time reader, first time poster. Did some googling and searching here and couldnt find anything. Forgive me if this has been answered already.

Ok, just noticed this today. First a bit of background. Latest gen MBP, Running latest version of SL 10.6.8. I have file sharing turned on in System Preferences, but no directories listed as shared.

Now the weird part. If I connect my computer to my girlfriends via an ethernet cable, assign us each a static IP (i used 10.0.0.1 and .2). My mac shows up fine on my girlfriends machine, but if I connect to it, my entire user directory as well as whole hard drive shows up. Now granted I have to type in my user credentials to connect to my MBP from hers, but I was surprised to see these things being shared since they were not listed as "shared" under system preferences.

Is this normal? anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks!!

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Yes this is normal. You are authenticating as a user of the machine. Specifying the folders allows you to change who can access what, with or without a password and username. By default the only thing that should be accessible without a username and password is the public folder. If this is not the case, then you have an issue with your settings.

Cheers

3. 0hnoes thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!! was a bit worried there. I do have to authenticate as myself or else nothing shows, but just wanted to verify all my files werent just out there for the taking!!