Snow Leopard slow performance in 64bit mode

Discussion in 'macOS' started by benrockwood, Sep 19, 2009.

1. benrockwood macrumors member

benrockwood

Hi,

Not sure why, but when i run my SL in 64 bit it runs significantly slow when compared to 32 bit on my umbp late 2008 2.4 ghz, 4gb ram and 500gb hdd. when running on 32 bit, my umbp boots in less than 15 sec and loading the native apps are very snappy and responsive (safari/finder/preview...etc). but when i boot in 64 bit.. it takes like 45 sec to boot (it keeps spinning the white circle during the boot up) and even loading safari and rendering the default page will take like couple of secs which is noticably slow and opening pdf in preview is slow and scoling the pdf is noticalby slow and sometimes hangs and which does not happen in 32 bit mode. if i click on application folder on the doc .. it opens the folder before i release the mouse button in 32 bit mode.. but in 64 bit.. it takes upto 5 sec to open the folder..

I tried this couple of times including rebooting the umbp. It is not crashing in 64 bit.. but it is noticeably slow.. which is making me depressed because i was thinking to upgrad this laptop to 6gb ram. now i am not sure if i want to upgrade.

-Ben

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

What does your RAM upgrade have to do with K64?

3. benrockwood thread starter macrumors member

benrockwood

if you look at the thread below, this guy had 6gb on umbp 2.4 working perfectly with leopard. but when he upgraded with SL, he has lot of issues with 32 bit SL, but working perfectly normal with 64bit SL.

even there were lot of discussion in other forums where they claimed they were able to use late 2008 umbp with 8gb ram working perfectly with 64bit SL, but not so with 32 bit SL

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=573906&highlight=8+gb+ram+on+umbp+2.4&page=24

-Ben