Snow Leopard Slower bootup than Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sukanas, Sep 14, 2009.

1. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

I did a CLEAN install, reseted SMC, PRAM. Repaired permission...

Now boot up takes 55 seconds from pressing the power button to showing the clock in the toolbar...

WTF is this.. leopard was 45 seconds. I know ten seconds isnt a big deal and it isnt. but this is also bugging me cause SL in general seems to hang more and be slower overall

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Move back to Leopard? Nobody forces you to use SL if you don't want to. Leopard is still ahead in stability and bugs

3. perrin21 macrumors newbie

Ive noticed this too, my first gen macbook pro 2.16 core duo booted up in 20 seconds via ssd on leopard and now it takes over twice that long. Im really disappointed because i don't really feel there is any improvements for 1st gen 32bit mbp, at least the boot up time should have been the same or quicker than leopard. overall disappointed.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Strange. I've had the exact opposite experience... my boot time was cut in half, from 30 seconds on Leopard to 15 on Snow Leopard.

Various things can affect boot time, one being if you recently activated Boot Camp. There's a simple fix, though, for this particular cause - reset PRAM.

5. Greenman85 macrumors regular

what is pram?

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

PRAM, or Parameter RAM, stores various system settings, such as the the system time, the currently active boot disk, and various other things.