Snow Leopard - still slow?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JasonBourne1, Sep 15, 2009.

1. JasonBourne1 macrumors regular

I've just installed SL, but my MBP is still not fast as it once was. The whole reason of buying SL was to make my MBP work faster but i havent seen any change.
    Is there anything i can do to speed it up?

2. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

Was this a clean install or upgrade? And what mac do you have?

3. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

How long ago? Is spotlight just reindexing?

4. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

I've not noticed any new/more speed on my MacPro, or on my girlfriends macbook I noticed it connects to Airport Express faster, but that's it.

Quicktime X is just had a makeover, but it's no good to me as I have Quicktime Pro 7, and there isn't any A/V controls in Quicktime X, but I was pleased to see it was still there (hidden in Utilities for some weird reason).

Safari 4.0.3 is playing up, I keep getting the tiny spinning beach ball of doom! - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinning_wait_cursor
    It lasts so long, that I have to force Quit!
    And I've Reset Safari, but the problem still continues :mad:
    Oh, and Time Machine is slower, as well!

Both machines are new, so I just did an upgrade.

I was under the impression things were going to start really flying, but to be honest, I've not really seen a difference between SL and Leopard.

I guess it's all under the hood with the "Nehalem" processors (so to speak)?

5. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I upgraded to SL on my Mac Pro, I'd say some graphics look a little smoother,
    but I've not overly noticed anything, cover flow / icons do load a bit faster,
    I thought starting up and shutting down might be a little faster too.

I've had no problems with any apps though.

Kind Regards

6. JasonBourne1 thread starter macrumors regular

It was just an upgrade. Its the old MBP but i got it a week before the MBP Unibody came out so it had leopard pre-installed. Its over a year old.

2.4 GHz - Core 2 Duo
    2 GB

Firefox is painfully slow

7. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Something is odd as I have the same MBP, although it's a 17" model with a 7200 RPM 160 GB internal drive and 4 GB RAM. On this setup now running 10.6.1, it's been a problem-free experience (including the latest Firefox) and not seeing anything out of the ordinary. So I'm not sure what to suggest in your case.

When it's slow, take a look at Activity Monitor -- is anything pegging the RAM use or swap use? Lots of disk I/O going on?