Snow Leopard success story - third install worked!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by alleycat, Sep 10, 2009.

1. alleycat macrumors regular

My road to Snow Leopard was a bumpy one. I was given all sorts of bad advice at many forums across the internet, mostly by snobby people. Finally found some helpful adults at the Apple discussions forum who suggested a total re-install of everything. Obviously my upgrade install never worked, as CS4, Quicktime, system dialog boxes were crashing, and MS Office 2004 never opened. Next I tried clean install and migration assistant. That didn't clear up any of the crashing problems either. The third time did work though, and if some of you are experiencing the same crashes, please take note.

You'll need to build up the system back from scratch. Yup, no upgrade, no migration assistant, you'll need to re-install everything with a brand new user account. That's how I finally got Snow Leopard to behave with all my apps, extensions, and utilities. Photoshop CS4 works properly now, MS Office 2004 opens, and no crashing on the system dialog boxes. Eye One Match calibrated my displays with no problems, despite its PPC nature. So now I'm a happy camper, my $29 didn't get wasted, but it wasn't an easy way to make OS X 10.6 work. I do wish Apple had put out some suggestions that a total re-install might clear up some of the bugs. So now I'll just get back to work, because everything works again!

2. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

Wow. I got a family pack and have put it on three macs with no problem. Sorry you had such a headache.

3. harcosparky macrumors 68020

We had some 'post install' issues on a 15" MBP where I did a clean install yesterday.

My first two 'shutdowns' left the MBP hanging in various states to where I had to force shutdown with the power button.

Here we are 8-10 shutdown/restart cycles later and all issues seem to have worked themselves out.

Having said that, at this time we are only installing SL on 1 of 6 Macs in the house due to some Application compatibility issues.

We need to upgrade some software packages, biggest of which would be MS Office For Mac as they are used heavily here and the version we have is from 2004.

Once we get those issues worked out, SL will be installed on all the machines at some point in time.

4. harcosparky macrumors 68020

After a Clean Install you say MS Office 2004 " now opens ".

Have you tried using it yet???

Read old docs?
    Create new docs?
    Save new docs?
    PRINT new docs?

We are curious and NEED TO KNOW!!!

Thanks,
    Gary

5. alleycat thread starter macrumors regular

I just opened and read a 2001 Word doc. Check.

I created a new doc and saved it. Check.

I created an Adobe PDF and saved it in Word. Check.

I printed a doc on my Epson printer. Check.

Looks like it's a go!

The key point here being here that you manually re-install Word 2004 after putting Snow Leopard on as a clean install.

6. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

I just had to reinstall last night. The guy from Apple Care said they are getting a lot of reports of glitches. They might have to send me a new disk.

But so far, second install is good. One day and counting.

7. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Thanks ... I did do a 'clean install', an old habit from my Windows nightmarish days! :eek:

Gonna install Office tonight and exercise the devil out of the system.

My daughter is begging me to put SL on her system, and she is the biggest Office user in the family.

Thanks again!

( will update this with my Office 2004 results! )

8. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Office Install Update

Office Install Update....

Got a Warning Message saying ....

" To Open Office Setup Assistant You Need To Install Rosetta ... "

Did you use Office Setup Assistant or did you just drag the Office folder over to Apps?

If you used Office Setup Assistant were you prompted to install Rosetta?

Thanks,
    Gary

9. alleycat thread starter macrumors regular

I installed Rosetta as an option of the clean install of Snow Leopard. That way I wanted to make sure the installer would work properly. I did use the Office setup assistant to install Office 2004. No problems on the installation.

10. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

You had to go way over there to get this advice? There must be 100 threads here at MR saying the same.

A clean install seems to rectify problems for people like you with all kinds of crap on their system.

11. alleycat thread starter macrumors regular