Snow Leopard sucks.............

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Rowf, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Rowf macrumors regular

2. WSR macrumors regular

True all new OS's have their bugs, since it is impossible to test every possible configuration, but Lion seems to have more than its fair share of performance bugs.

Overall, I'm not as concerned with the performance bugs in Lion since I know Apple is working on fixes for them.

My concern are some of the new "features" of Lion that either remove functionality or can't be turned off. For example, the downgrading of Spaces and Expose, the near uselessness of a 2nd monitor in Full-screen mode, the loss of "Save As..." and "Do You Want to Save?", and the lack of control over Resume, Versions or AutoSave.

I hope Apple is also working on restoring or gaining these functionalities while keeping new features that some do like, i.e. Mission Control. Some like it and some don't. I would prefer the SL's Expose/Spaces, but the sign of a good OS is the ability to be used in different ways by different users.

3. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

What you describe as a downgrade is an upgrade for others. I love spaces and expose now, they're useful for me now.

4. WSR macrumors regular

What I described was actually Spaces/Expose as it is in SL and in Lion both in the same OS.

I understand that many like Mission Control while others don't like it. What I was proposing was giving the user the choice.

As I said " the sign of a good OS is the ability to be used in different ways by different users."

5. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

You missed the entire point of this thread...

7. marc11, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011

marc11 macrumors 68000

All new OS releases have issues, and there will always be people that love them or hate them, but in time Lion will improve to the level of SL.

8. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I don't see Lion as an improvement; it's a dumbing down of OS X to the level of iToys.

9. hinkamp macrumors newbie

I don't quite understand the quick negative comparison to the iPad. Because of expanded gestures? Because of launchpad? You can easily not use those two features. I never use launchpad. I do, however think that the improved gestures are great.

10. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

The problem with Snow Leopard was that it was very buggy on first release due to a total re-write.

The problem with Lion is that it is very buggy on first release (for some unknown reason) and the features are obtrusive (Resume & Autosave), not very well integrated (Gestures) and often seen as downgrades to what we had before (Mission Control) or just plain useless (LaunchPad).

I found both Tiger and Leopard much more stable on release than Snow Leopard and Lion.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What I hate the most with Lion is the lack of Save As. If you look at the new version of pixelmator, you cannot easily create png/tiff/jpgs using save as. I have to go to an export menu and go through that. While not a lot of work, its a bit disruptive to how I normally work.

12. wpotere Guest

Pointless...

SL had issues at first too, but the difference is that Apple fixed them with the first patch unlike this round where all they did was introduce iCloud. I suspect Lion will be fixed eventually, but the fact that they put their stupid rollout before the customers that were and are having problems with Lion is ridiculous.

13. hinkamp macrumors newbie

The weird thing about this is that it seems to be the choice of the App developer. I have plenty of apps in Lion that still have the "Save As" feature (TextMate, WriteRoom, Word, Stata, etc). I assume they will eventually drop it though. But I would love to see some sort of ability to turn off the versions.

14. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

A lot of those apps haven't been updated from SL to Lion, feature-wise.

15. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Eh, this happens every time Apple releases a new OS. Too many people have very short-term memories.

16. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Adding gestures on a desktop computer .. that's like adding feet on a fish.

----------

You can't fix stupid.

17. Soliber macrumors regular

Yes well you can keep on clicking the back/forward button in Safari and use CTRL + arrow left/right arrow keys to navigate the spaces, use F3 to toggle exposé etc.
    The rest of us dumb ones will be using the dumb but oh so convenient gestures on our mice and trackpads :rolleyes:

18. Rowf thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly the point of the post, which is a response to the negativity of the Lion is a pile of **** posts.

Snow Leopard is a fast, stable and powerful system, I came from Vista to Snow Leopard and it was a revelation: it does all that on 2gb of ram, yaay :D
    It has, however, had plenty of time to be patched and smoothed out to be the system that it is now.

MS Windows, Linux, Apple, all release new systems in a blaze of hype and excitement but it's only a year or so later, when the patches have been applied and the bugs ironed out, that a true assessment of the new system can be made.

I've dropped back to Snow Leopard at the moment, I need the stability and lighter resource usage to get some work done, but I'm not knocking Lion, just waiting awhile.

19. hinkamp macrumors newbie

How so? I find gestures really useful.

20. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

Change

Lion has lots of subtle changes that make the system easier to use if you actually use them instead of trying to fight them. That being said, people generally do not like change. 10.8 will come out and everyone will hate it and say how amazing Lion was. It seems like this happens every OS release since OS X came out.

21. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Explain then how exactly you use gestures with a mouse?

22. NoHomeDirectory macrumors newbie

I use lion all day as a mac tech never have any issues, I am still partial to snow leopard, and advise people to stick with it especially if they run their business on macs (everyone seems to rock quicken). I will say at first I had a firm dislike for lion but since I have been using it for a good solid few months now it has grown on me, some of the issues related to lion are very easily solved with minimal troubleshooting, I should know I do it all day.