Snow Leopard - That's It?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stockcerts, Aug 30, 2009.

1. stockcerts macrumors 65816

Like most of us I was excited with anticipation for Snow Leopard. Typically when we get a new OS, or major update to one of our favorite applications there is something new and fun to explore...like the new Facebook app for the iPhone. I do realize that Apple positioned this update for developers to now write apps in 64 bit, so I get that...plus I think the fact that Windows 7 is coming out in Oct made it important as well.

With this upgrade it's done and there really isn't much new to see or use. I do appreciate the increased performance, and I have no regrets, just a little different from what I'm use to for a major upgrade.

So I'll sit back and enjoy the under the hood enhancements....I'll try anyway.

2. Amdahl macrumors 65816

You mean like 10.5?

Try some scented candles. They help.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Yeah, I can't believe Apple didn't tell us what to expect before hand.

4. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Sounds like you changed your mind halfway through writing your post.

5. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Ha, well said sir.

6. jayducharme macrumors 68030

jayducharme

Actually, I've found a lot of new features that I never expected from Apple. Mail, Safari, Logic and Quicktime all continually crash for no apparent reason. There's just a barely perceptible speed increase in the OS. But I did reclaim about 6 gb of system hard drive space. And all for just $29.

7. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

It's weird how it differs from person to person. My Macbook feels like a brand new computer. The speed difference is very noticeable for me. And so far I haven't had a since program crash.

8. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Well, don't blame Apple. If not for Sarbanes-Oxley, Snow Leopard would have been free!

9. stevegmu macrumors regular

Everything seems faster to me, especially Safari. Definitely worth the upgrade.Even the colors look richer.

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I wonder how many more of these types of posts we'll see.

Seriously, people, you knew what to expect.

11. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Thank you, they've only had ALL the features and benefits posted on their website for several months before release. Sheesh, what are people expecting?

What trips me out are some of these Mac fans thinking that Apple was going to secretly change the whole UI to "marble" and get a fancy new multi-colored Dock that dances and plays a song when the mouse rolls over it, a psychedelic menu bar that reads out the words in neon style "welcome to Macintosh" upon boot, the scroll bars replaced with virtual ones that scroll the webpage by use of your own eyes.
    Snow Leopard will shine in the coming months after Apple's updates and developers taking advantage of it. You got a whole new computer for cheap, when do we ever get to use those words together when talking about Apple? Just enjoy it. :)

12. thepro8 macrumors member

thepro8

Take into count what Apple is charging. This new operating system is about half the price of a video game these days! The upgrade to 64 bit is worth the money alone. Sure it may not be a major revamp visually, like what you are expecting, but for $30 or less you are getting much more computing horsepower.

13. Jongewehr macrumors 6502

amen lol

14. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

You just haven't read any inspirational reviews yet :p

:D

15. RandiC macrumors member

I would take it back for a refund and wait for windows 7

16. Creel macrumors newbie

well my iMac is doing just fine after the Snow Leopard update, apps load faster, especially Safari, also Mail is much faster.
    Having read as much as I could about Snow Leopard before I decided to upgrade, it was quite obvious that most changes are in the 'background', ie 64bit, so it was quite clear to me and therefor I did not expect any big changes 'up front'.
    I am happy with my A$39.00 investment! :)

17. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Thats why apple charged so low for the upgrade.. think of it like the 3.0 upgrade for the ipod touch.. nothing really new just a few tweaks.

18. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

I agree, it is weird. My Macbook is so much better now, I can't even believe the difference. I had a two year old install, from the "factory" on my Dec 07 purchase.

My Macbook starts up a little faster, shuts down really fast, launchs applications faster and just feel quicker overall. Even the windows and dock animations are faster. I had them turned off, because they seemed sluggish, I have turned Genie and magnification back on and it's all smooth now.

It does feel like a whole new computer. It's amazing that some people are reporting that things are much slower. :confused:

19. sonspot macrumors member

from what i've been reading and now that i have it installed, am thinking this should have been a free update/upgrade $9.99 tops (am a cheap a.$$ i guess) guess i'll keep exploring..

20. sonspot macrumors member

are you using the butt dino for this,, lol

21. robert.bulko macrumors newbie

robert.bulko

Well, I'm just surprised here. What happened to all fighters for Mac OS X? Everybody knew what SL will be about. We all knew that all primary and biggest changes won't be visible. Also all we knew about the new finder and quicktime ... (not many new features), so why are you complaining? Everything that was told is delivered. It works bloody good on my 20" iMac, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM. It's faster, smoother with about 12GB more space available. Of course I had to get some apps updated but generally very easy smile-on-my-face upgrade.:rolleyes:

22. junker macrumors 6502

junker

As for all this "magical extra space" coming back/regaining space, I believe I know where it comes from... I bet it (at least partially) comes from the code that was for us Power PC users. It's what made previous OS's universal.

Now, we sit and watch the world go by and listen to the wise (ass) comments that we should know better - that a G5 2.3 Dual Processor with 1TB drive and 4.5 GiB of RAM is simply outdated and should be replaced.

I'm still pissed about this.
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

23. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

The PPC people pissed about being left out should really meet up with the ones that are underwhelmed about the release. In theory, their emotions should cancel out.

24. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

It was bound to happen someday (PPC no longer supported), that day just happens to be now.

25. stevegmu macrumors regular

Seems like a great reason to buy a new Mac.