Snow Leopard the last true OSX?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CIA, Feb 16, 2012.

1. CIA macrumors 6502a

With Lion, and now Mountain Lion, the iOSification of the core Mac OS is being accelerated. Is Snow Leopard the XP of macs? Besides a "test" laptop I'm still running SL on all my macs, it's a robust and stable OS, that still acts like a computer OS should.
    Anyone else worried about iOS blending into OSX?

2. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Snow Leopard is the best in my opinion.

It works perfect. Nothing really to say about it.

3. HabSonic macrumors regular

No. I'm able to do everything I did with SL in Lion and more. It's personnal preference if you prefer SL at this point.

4. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I think Snow Leopard already got rid of a lot of Unix low level tasks from the user's eyes. Sometimes this is annoying when setting up a development environment (Apache, Oracle client, PHP, SVN+SSH, OpenSSL, OpenSSH, system user accounts and so on). I think - I never used Leopard, but Google search shows that administration tasks were more accessible by the user - that Snow Leopard was a step further from Leopard to make the system easier for most users, although harder for geeks/programmers/network administrators.

If Lion follows the same path (more dummy-friendly and less customizable through established Unix methods), I prefer Snow Leopard.

Things that make me think about installing Lion:
    - FileVault is system-wide;
    - Finder promises to provide features that make it as good as Windows Explorer.