snow leopard to leopard remote management

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bcrguy, Mar 18, 2010.

1. bcrguy macrumors regular

ok so i have a brand new 15" macbook pro (snow Leopard), my sister uses my old 15" macbook pro (leopard) and my brother uses my old 17" imac (white one, with leopard) and i need to help them from time to time while im away.. for some reason screen sharing dosent work and neither does ssh in terminal..

is this a typical issue between Leopard and Snow Leopard??
    how could i fix it??

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have a mixed SL / Leopard environment and never noticed this. I will check this evening when I get home. Have you applied all your updates to each OS? I know there were quite a few Apple Remote Desktop updates over the past few months and since the same technology is used for VNC/ screen sharing / ARD, not being up to date on each OS may create issues. Also you can create a shortcut to screen sharing on your dock by dragging the screen sharing app from Applications to your dock. You can then browse all the available screen sharing on your network using bonjour or simply enter the ip address of the machine you want to screenshare in to. Lastly, don't forget to enable screen share and vnc on every machine and make sure there is a vnc password (vnc uses a separate from the screen sharing which requires an Apple login to the machine you are trying to screen share). Make sure the account you want to use exists on all 3 machines. You will need to log in to screen share. If you are connected as "guest" you cannot screen share, so you could disconnect and "connect as" a legit account on the machine you are trying to control.

hope this helps...

3. bcrguy thread starter macrumors regular

i check for updates on my machine at least once a week.. and i tell them to keep theirs updated as well.. i will try doing all the updates and then try again on the other 2 machines.. and i have enabled screensharing on both and im 90%sure i have a vnc password.. i will try these and then post my findings.. thanks for the reply

4. bcrguy thread starter macrumors regular

ok so both machines are fully updated and it was working locally last night (me in my room my bro on his downstairs) but when i try it today from school its not working... can you tell me how you go about logging in so i can see if im doing it right... right now its a trial and error for me...

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. iMerlin macrumors 6502a

iMerlin

So I came to the forum today to look for a topic like this one. I recently signed up for MobileMe primarily for the BackToMyMac feature. I bring my MBP to work everyday and thought it would be really cool to control my iMac or Mini from here. So I synced up and signed into MobileMe on all my machines. I then came to work and fired up MobileMe in attempts to use BTMM. I was presented with a screen telling me "no dice bro, your router doesnt support this!" (In so many words)

That was pretty disappointing to me. I went home and cried a little.

At work today I was playing in Finder and noticed that my iMac and Mini were listed under shared. I do not remember having those available while at work before I signed up for MobileMe. Im not sure if that is what did it though. Needless to say I selected my iMac, then selected Share Screen and poof, Im now looking at my iMac.

So why would it NOT let me do BTMM but it will let me Share the Screen?

Anyway, to the OP, maybe MobileMe is the answer to your problems?

7. bcrguy thread starter macrumors regular

ok again those dont help me..
    the first two are leopard only and im running mixed..
    the third one uses i chat.. which i dont use

team viewer might work tho.. il give that a try

8. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

How are you trying to connect to these machines?

In order to screen share over the internet without iChat or third party applications, you need to:

1. Know the External IP or domain name (dyndns, etc).
    2. Forward the proper ports on the router to the machines in question

Without this, you cannot connect to those machines if they are behind a router.