Snow Leopard to Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by jumpmanpro97, Oct 23, 2013.

1. jumpmanpro97 macrumors member

I'm updating from Snow Leopard to Mavericks. Are there things from Lion/Mountain Lion that I should know or have they completely changed everything from Lion/Mountain Lion?

Two things I've noticed

- scrolling swipe direction is inverted
    - finally have that find my mac feature

2. madmacfan macrumors 6502

Another thing to note if you still use PPC apps, are that they are not supported in lion, mountain lion and mavericks due to the lack of rosetta support. Front row is no longer included beyond snow leopard, although there are ways to make it run again under 10.7 and 10.8. front row hack in 10.9 is buggy and crashes, so it can't be used under mavericks at present.

3. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

But can be changed back in System Preferences.

Funny how something that feels so natural on an iPad or iPhone is so awkward on a computer.

4. jumpmanpro97 thread starter macrumors member

You know you're right I didn't even notice that I do that on my iPhone. So would it be safe to say that I should read up on my lion/mountain lion gestures as well?

5. davelanger macrumors 6502a

I am coming from SL as well, it doesn't take long to get used to .

6. jumpmanpro97 thread starter macrumors member

swiping between webpages is pretty interesting.

7. MPB11 macrumors regular

you don't even need to get used to the new swipe direction since you can just put it back to way it was under SL. It's pretty much the first thing people upgrading to Lion, ML or Mavericks did I think :)

8. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Yeah - I use the gestures all the time. But I need to have my Scroll Direction set to unnatural.

9. jumpmanpro97 thread starter macrumors member

I think I'll keep up with the cool kids and keep things "new' & "fresh" ha

10. atkinsn2000 macrumors newbie

Are you having any trouble downloading mavericks in snow leopard?.
    I get the downloader up but its bin over a day and if hasnt moved even if I close it and open the downloader again nothing seems to happens.

11. jumpmanpro97 thread starter macrumors member

mine downloaded really fast but took almost an hour install. Everything is working correctly right now and since install

12. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I just got a new MacBook Pro, and that was the first thing I changed! I made the jump to Mavericks from SL on my old MBP.

13. Manda macrumors regular

Manda

I've done the same thing with the scrolling.

14. AtmChm macrumors regular

Mavericks vs. SL and battery time

I installed Mavericks on a 2009 MB Air with a 128 GB SSD. I was intrigued to try Mavericks on this laptop because of the reported longer battery life it gives on comparisons with the 2013 MBA. However, I have not seen such a battery life extension. I can get 5 hours on my MBA with SL doing light work such as light web browsing, MS Office, Mail. I have not seen any improvement on that with Mavericks yet, and it may be even less, but I have to do more testing.

Anyone else noticing differences in battery life with Mavericks on older Apple laptops (not the 2013 generation)?