Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrMacBookPro, Sep 23, 2012.

1. MrMacBookPro macrumors 6502

Well i bought my 13'' MBP in june of 2011 and i'm still running Snow Leopard, Do i or should i upgrade to Mountain Lion? Will it slow the MBP down?

I'm just concerned that eventually i wont get updates for Snow Leopard anymore.

Thanks

2. KeeFX macrumors newbie

KeeFX

I put Mountain Lion on my 2GB MBP 17" 2007 model... Runs okay, not as smooth as Snow Leopard but still usable. You should be fine.

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

It won't be slow.

If you don't really desire any of the features of Mountain Lion or you don't need any application support then there is no real reason to upgrade to Mountain Lion. Save yourself the time and money.

4. MrMacBookPro thread starter macrumors 6502

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Sure but if you don't want/need Mountain Lion then it doesn't make sense to essentially throw away $20. It wouldn't be "throwing away" $20 because you will get a great operating system but my point is to basically use what you have now instead of just upgrading to the latest and greatest for the sake of it. If you want to try it out, or you have heard about certain features of it that intrigue you, or perhaps you need to run an application that requires OS X 10.8.x, then upgrade.

6. MrMacBookPro thread starter macrumors 6502

THanks, I'm quite happy with Snow Leopard but what about updates in the future?

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

It's the same consideration as far as I am concerned. I mean if you just use your Mac for everyday tasks then Snow Leopard will last you forever.

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I've been enjoying OS X Jaguar ver. 10.2.x on my 2002 1.0 GHz Titanium PowerBook that I bought new that year.

Although I upgrade to Apples newest annually, that Titanium PowerBook was simply too nice to sell. A longtime favorite that I use casually once a month, just for fun, the only part I've ever needed to replace is the battery.

If that's not a testimony about Apple quality & longevity, I don't know what is. As mentioned earlier, there is no mandatory reason to upgrade the OS if it still works as it should.

The cosmetic condition of my Ti, shocks many, since it looks like new. That's what a good case and careful handling will do for you. It's worth more to me today, than the day I bought it.

9. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

I did pretty much EXACTLY that..

My June-2012 Refurb MBP 8,2 got a 'Mountain Lion' upgrade about 2 months ago.. I love it..

Seamless to do, many useful new 'swipe-able' features.. Best $20 I have spent on a computer recently..

Shortly after I put a 512GB/M4 into it as well.. this machine will do ALL I want for the next 2-3 years for sure!!

:apple:

10. MrMacBookPro thread starter macrumors 6502