Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by onthecouchagain, Feb 27, 2012.

1. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Can one upgrade from Snow Leopard to ML without having to install Lion?

So if say ML was released for $29 bucks, can I upgrade directly, or would I have to pay $29 for Lion, then another $29 for ML?

2. Bear macrumors G3

This is a good question. The Apple web site doesn't say if you need to be at Lion to upgrade to Mountain Lion.

I guess we'll find out closer to when Mountain Lion is being released. Including the actual price.

3. windowstomac macrumors regular

Well to install Lion you needed SL with all the updates, so I suspect that to install ML you will need Lion with all the updates.

4. Bear macrumors G3

This is a tough call to make. You need Snow Leopard for the Mac App Store.

As I said above, we'll see when Apple announces the pricing and requirements.

5. tyrell456 macrumors member

The only reason you needed Snow Leopard (10.6.8, to be specific), was because you needed access to the App Store - which was, at the time, Snow Leopard exclusive. Though we won't know for absolutely sure until Apple comes out and tells us, theoretically it should be able to upgrade directly from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion because you have access to the App Store.

6. heimbachae macrumors regular

heimbachae

agreed, but i don't see apple letting users jump.

correction: i don't see the new apple letting users jump.

7. goMac macrumors 603

You should be fine jumping. When running the Lion installer from disk, you could still upgrade from OS's older than Snow Leopard.

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I just "jumped" (2010 MBP on 10.6.8 to MtnLion) no problem.

9. heimbachae macrumors regular

heimbachae

you paid for that USB drive? otherwise what lion disk do you speak of??

10. Photics macrumors regular

I've been holding off on upgrading to Lion on my Mac Mini because I suspect that a Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion upgrade may be possible. One of the reasons is actually because of the upgrade process...

If Lion needs Snow Leopard... and if Mountain Lion needs Lion... then that would be one tedious clean install.

I've read online that people are jumping from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. Could Apple be stingy and disable that? I suppose that they could, but that wouldn't get an extra $30 out of me. I'd probably put that towards a new computer. $30+$30 = $60... I'd rather put that money towards hardware, which would come with a free copy of Mountain Lion.

Heh, and I even put some iTunes credit on my account. Best Buy was having a sale on iTunes Gift Cards. I got 20% off. I'm being extremely frugal about this purchase.