Snow Leopard Trash Can

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by backpacker27, Jan 6, 2010.

1. backpacker27 macrumors newbie

I Recently Replaced My Mac Mini Running "tiger" With A New 4gb Model Running "snow Leopard".
    I'm Not Sure The Advantages Outweigh The Disadvantages, Of Which There Are Many; The Most Frustrating Thing Is That My Hard-drive Keeps Filling Up, And Deleting Files Makes Not The Slightest Difference - They Just Sit In The Trash-can Still Taking Up Hard-disk Space. There Are Currently 3800 Files Languishing In The Trash, Taking Up 30gb Of Hard-drive. I Have Tried "empty Trash", "secure Empty Trash" And Anything Else That Comes To Mind; All To No Avail! I Use ! Photo A Lot, And I Constantly Have To Force-quit And Restart The Machine Because That Beachball Thing Seems To Appear At The Slightest Opportunity. Fortunately, I Am A Patient Man But It Would Be Nice To Have Time To Get Out And Take Some Pictures Occasionally. Any Suggestions Or Advice Would Be Greatly Appreciated.

Regards
    Tony (backpacker27)

2. tuqqer macrumors member

I have to uptick this just for the use of capitalization on every word. An awesome look.

It sounds like a brand new fresh install is the solution. Wipe the drive, reinstall Snow Leopard from the disk, and then slowly add your files (photos, docs, etc) back in. I would create a new User account from scratch.

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yeah, really! Not just block caps, either. :eek: Well, I guess your enthusiasm is commendable, anyway. The only words that are not capitalized are the proper nouns. :D

Try opening Disk Utility and repairing permissions. If that doesn't help, you can try opening a Terminal window and running

sudo rm -r /.Trashes ~/.Trash

(Note: As another user just discovered, there should be no space between the / and .)

4. backpacker27 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice- I'll try the Terminal thing first as soon as i've finished backing-up. Incidentally, my original message was written using all upper -case letters; however it's appeared like this, which does of course look rather silly.:rolleyes:
    backpacker27

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Just as well. Writing a message in block caps is extremely annoying.

6. backpacker27 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, BlueRevolution, we can all, of course find many things in life extremely annoying, if we choose to. However, I have learnt over the years (67 of them), that tolerance is a virtue worth pursuing - life is too short Mate! No doubt you find patnonizing old gits extremely annoying too - so be it! Nevertheless, your advice on emptying the trash is much appreciated - thanks.;)
    Later: The Terminal command worked a treat and I now have a usable machine with almost 50GB of hard-disk space. Many thanks, again.

7. blake836 macrumors newbie

Are the files in your trash deleted from an internal or external drive?